Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
I. We stay in step with the culture by understanding the changes that are taking place.
A. The sons of Issachar were men who understood the culture in which they lived.
1. You cannot change the culture in which you live if you do not understand the culture.
2. Pray—ask God to give you insight into your community and show you where the needs are.
3. Read—newspaper, magazines, community news, books. Anything that will give you insight into modern culture.
B. We need to gain an understanding of the place of the church in our culture.
1. Only forty-one percent of Americans attend church services on a normal weekend.
2. Each generation in our culture becomes increasingly unchurched.
a. The builder generation (Born prior to 1946)—51% attend regularly.
b. The baby boomers (Born 1946-1964)—41% attend regularly.
c. The baby busters (Born 1965-1976)—34% attend regularly.
d. The bridgers generation (Born 1977-1994)—26% attend regularly.
3. Only one person is reached for Christ for every 85 church members in America.
4. America is becoming less Christian, less evangelized and more unchurched.
5. Too many in our churches are oblivious to the moral pit our culture is rapidly descending into.
6. Could it be that we have developed more of a concern for comfort and maintaining the status-quo rather than a concern for the unchurched?
II. We stay out of step with the world by standing firm of the principles found in God’s Word.
A. There many myths that have developed concerning the unchurched and what they desire in a church.
1. There are churches that have openly accepted homosexuality and abortions.
2. The rationale is that God’s Word has contradictions in it so we have to interpret it in the light of modern times and according to our logic.
3. All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what
- Church: Purpose of
- All Sermons on Church: Purpose of
- Text Illustrations on Church: Purpose of
- Video Illustrations on Church: Purpose of
- PowerPoint Template on Church: Purpose of
- Scripture on Church: Purpose of
Join the discussion