Jesus Died For You
Sermon shared by Jeffery Anselmi
Summary: What does it mean that Jesus died for you?
Series: The Passion
Denomination: Christian/Church of Christ
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
• Here we are, one week from Resurrection Sunday. Over the last two weeks we have looked at the fact that Jesus is the Son of God and then we found out that He is the only way to God.
• If Jesus is the son of God and He is he only way to get to God, then what?
• This week we are going to see who Jesus died for, the purpose behind His death and finally what the implications are for us.
• When I hear stats from TV that say 80% of Americans consider themselves Christians, I have to wonder why this country is not an even better place. 80% of 260 million people makes for a lot of good influence going around.
• As I watched the movie, “The Passion of The Christ”; it helped me to understand some of the price that was paid for my salvation. For me it helped me to realize the importance of the difference Jesus should make in my life. When you watched the Passion, did you wonder why God allowed that to happen to Jesus? Did it seem pointless to you? Did you come away with a renewed passion for Jesus in your life?
• I believe we lose our passion because we forget the sacrifice that was made.
• The text we will look at is one of those heart and soul passages from the bible. In this passage the Apostle Paul explains the true meaning of the life and death of Jesus.
• I hope today’s message will get though to us in a way that will inspire us to make some changes in our lives.
• Let’s read 2 Corinthians 5:14-21
I. WHO DID JESUS DIE FOR? (14-15)
• Did Jesus die for just a few people? Did He only die for those who live in the United States? NO!
• In verses 14, 15 we are told that Jesus died for all. Jesus died for everyone. The original reads that Jesus died instead of, in the place of, on behalf of, or for the benefit of, everyone.
• This fits in well with 1 Timothy 2:3-4 which says, “This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.”
• I do not know if you understand that no matter who you are, what you have or are doing right now, Jesus died for you, He died in your place, for your benefit.
• I said last week that many of the false religions do nothing but take, Jesus gives, He gave His life for you!
• MAT 20:28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
• 1TI 2:5-6 “For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time.”
• Jesus did not just die for nice people, He died for all. He did not wait until we were clean before He did it. ROM 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
• Jesus not only died for us, but because of His great love for us. This is the basis of the gospel message. JOHN 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
• Our God wants to have a personal relationship with you through Jesus. Jesus is the door to make that happen. I know it is hard to believe that the creator of the universe loves you that much, but He does and He has shown that through Jesus.
• Since Jesus died for all, why did He die, why didn’t God come up with another way? Remember Jesus Himself asked three
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion