Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
I have been teaching Grade 7 RE since the beginning of the year and they are literally full of questions. I have a question box which is available for them to put questions in and we will attempt to answer them over the course of the year. Well, Iíve been swamped by questions about God, Jesus and faith.
One of the most common questions is how do we know that God is real. Itís a question that many of us grown ups ask also. And probably the best answer to this question is to take a look at Jesusí life. Jesus claimed to be the Son of God. In John 10:30, Jesus said ďI and the Father are one.Ē He also claimed that God was his Father (John 5:18), and claimed many of the characteristics of God. For example, Christ claimed to have the authority to forgive sins (Mark 2:10). He claimed that one day he would sit at the right hand of God in power (Mark 14:62) and would come with power to judge (John 5:22). He asserted several times that he had the authority and power to raise the dead (John 6:39-40).
But words are cheap arenít they Ė you or I could make the same claims right here and now, but it is another thing to be able to prove them. When Jesus was on earth, he spoke with authority and people marveled, but they still werenít convinced by his mere words. It took more, it usually took miracles or wonders to prove to those watching that Jesus was who he said he was Ė Godís Son.
This Morning I want to attempt to answer the question Ė Jesus is Godís Son Ė True or False? This is the first in a series of messages which will lead us into Easter. Over the coming weeks, I want to ask these 3 questions Ö
Jesus is Godís Son Ė True or False
Jesus is the only way to God Ė True or False
Jesus died for you and me Ė True or False
But today I want to ask the question - Jesus is Godís Son Ė True or False? This is the first question which must be answered before we can believe in Him. And the only way to answer this question is to look at His life and actions and see whether they indeed prove Jesusí self claims. Before we get to that, though, it is important to realize that when we talk about Jesus, we have 4 choices before us. By the end of todayís service, you will have to decide on one of these.
1. He is a liar - He knew He wasnít Godís Son, but he deliberately misled those that heard Him. Maybe it was for a big ego trip, or maybe it was to gain popularity. Most people, even those who donít believe he was the Son of God, believe he was a great moral teacher. Teaching people how to live right before God. But there is a problem here if you think he is a great moral teacher, but not the Son of God. Because Jesus could hardly be a great moral teacher if he was living a double life and lying about his own identity. He was either who he said he was in which case we should listen to him. Or, Jesus is a liar on all accounts and we canít trust anything he says.
2. The second option is that Jesus was well meaning, but a bit confused. He was a lunatic. But when we look at his life, we donít see an abnormal or imbalanced person who has no control of himself. Just the opposite. Jesus always seems to be in control even when faced with external pressure. There is little evidence that Jesus was a Lunatic.
3. The third option is that Jesus
- Miracles of Jesus
- All Sermons on Miracles of Jesus
- Text Illustrations on Miracles of Jesus
- Video Illustrations on Miracles of Jesus
- PowerPoint Template on Miracles of Jesus
- Scripture on Miracles of Jesus
Join the discussion