Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Text: John 14:1-7
Introduction: This passage is our Lordís words of encouragement for our day. When you seem all alone; when you feel all left out; when you feel no one cares - this passage is an uplifter.
I want to direct your focus on verse 6 in particular. This particular statement from our Lord is what separates Jesus from all others. Now many have made similar statements concerning themselves in the past; the real setting apart comes through the physical proof. That proof being His physical resurrection from the dead.
As we focus on this verse, I want to focus particularly upon the idea that Jesus is the way to a better life. We hear people all around talking of the good life - talking of achieving the good life. We see many around us in hot pursuit of this good life that so many are talking about. It is kind of an innate desire within us to attain the very best we possibly can. In fact, many will walk on, step on or crawl over anyone or anything they have to in order to get it - they just want it. This is not some new desire. It has been the desire of every age and every walk of life.
History has been plagued by those out to get it in anyway possible. Nations have risen and nations have fallen as leaders, greedy for the good life, have sacrificed their own people to try to attain the good life for themselves. The truth of the matter is: theyíve never really found it. They have pursued after it. It has cost many a very high price. But the only real "good life" is that life found in Jesus Christ for Jesus is the only Way to the good life.
I. Jesus Corrects Our Misconceptions
A. At the mention of "THE GOOD LIFE," most people immediately begin thinking about things like:
1. Material prosperity
B. So, why do people think this way?
1. Unfortunately, most people sum up "the good life" in two basic words: happiness and peace.
2. Most suppose material prosperity, pleasure and popularity will bring about these things.
3. But, if this is really true, why are most wealthy, high-living, famous people extremely unhappy and lacking inner peace?
C. Jesus answers this question for us.
1. He taught there is more to life than material possessions -
"Then he said to them, Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a manís life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." (Lk 12:15)
2. He offers a peace which things of the world cannot give and a joy which is complete and full -
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (Jn 14:27)
"I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete." (Jn 15:11)
What the world cannot give, Jesus can. How does He do it?
II. Jesus Leads the Way to a Better Life
A. He identifies and removes the real problem.
1. What is the cause of so much unhappiness in our world? What deprives so many of inner peace?
a. Is it not things like immorality, theft, murder?
b. Is it not things like coveting, deceit, envy and pride?
2. So then what is the cause of these things?
a. Jesus declared the cause to be the sinful hearts of men -
"For from within, out of menís hearts, come evil
- Jesus' Ministry
- All Sermons on Jesus' Ministry
- Text Illustrations on Jesus' Ministry
- Video Illustrations on Jesus' Ministry
- PowerPoint Template on Jesus' Ministry
- Scripture on Jesus' Ministry
Join the discussion