* So Pilate commanded Him to be scourged … Later delivered Him to be crucified!
(3) THE CRUCIFIXION! * The scourging … Jesus’ face twisted as the weight of that scourge
plowed into His back, splattered the blood, and cut the meat off His ribs!
* With every crushing blow, hot flashes of pain flooded His body.
* The white naked ribs were showing through the torn flesh!
* The blood ran freely down His scourged back and puddled on the ground!
A) The soldiers took Jesus into the common hall and mocked Him as being King ……
* From the common hall, they begin their rugged journey to Golgotha, a place of a skull.
* They reach the spot and there they crucified Him along with two thieves.
* “Father, forgive them …” * “This day …” * “Woman …” * “My God …” * “I thirst.”
* “It is finished.” * “Father, into thy hands …” * His head slumped upon His chest.
B) His bloody, tangled hair matted together in His face! * The tense, twitching body relaxed!
* The blood dripped slowly from the wounds in His hands and His feet.
* His eyes were closed and the clotted blood in the lashes had turned dark purple in color.
* The beaten, bloody, bruised, and battered corpse dangled limp and lifeless.
* A soldier thrusts a spear into His side and pierced the membrane around the heart, and blood
and water flowed like a fountain from that side … He was dead!
(4) BARABBAS! * I have often wondered how Barabbas must’ve felt that day!
* Did you ever think what may have happened to Barabbas? * Remember who he was?
* He was the condemned criminal whom they released on the day Jesus was crucified!
* He was a notable prisoner, meaning his reputation of murder and robbery was widespread!
A) The night before that fatal day, Barabbas was held in prison!
* He probably spent that miserable night in the death cell of a dark, damp, rat infested dungeon!
* Look at him as he shivers in the cold, clammy cell, and pulls his wet, ragged garments together
about his naked shoulders!
* Dragging his shivering body through the mud in the darkness, he collapses in a heap in the
corner against the cold, wet walls! * This was his last night on earth!
B) What does a man think about the night before he is to be executed?
* I don’t know, but it must be a nightmare! * Barabbas began to relive the past!
* He saw himself as a child, playing around the knees of a faithful Jewish mother.
* As he grew, he saw himself drifting away from her teaching into a life of rebellion!
* Maybe he got into the wrong company! * He began to steal, little things at first!
C) Then one night as he ransacked a dwelling, the man in the house by the window began to
stir, Barabbas stood over the sleeping body until he saw the white of the man’s eyes!
* The man was waking! * Quickly, he pulls a dagger from his belt and plunged it into the chest
of the waking man! * Barabbas listened to the dying groans and hurried into the night!
* He had murdered his first victim … It would be easier from then on!
* He could remember how he had hidden in the rocks along the road from Jerusalem to Jericho