Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Just Another Baby?
December 15, 2002
A. [2002 Poll on Uniqueness of Christianity, Citation: "Faith in America," U.S. News & World Report (5-6-02), p. 42; source: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/features/religion_survey.htm]
PBS’s Religion and Ethics Newsweekly/U.S. News & World Report poll conducted March 26–April 4, 2002
In a spring 2002 poll, those who call themselves Christians in the U.S. were asked, "Which [of the following] statement[s] comes closer to your own views?" They replied:
The religion you practice is the only true religion: 19 percent
All religions have elements of truth: 77 percent
Don’t know/not applicable/refused: 4 percent
1. Now I suspect that the way the responses were worded threw some Christians off a little because there are certainly some elements of truth in every religion, but is Christianity the only true religion or not?
2. Is Christianity just one of many religions that all lead to God?
3. Is Christ just one of many religious leaders?
4. Is there nothing unique about Christianity?
5. Is there nothing unique about Jesus Christ?
6. Is this just another baby that had an interesting story surrounding His birth?
B. Today we return to John 1 for our third sermon in this series from this chapter to see if there are any answers to these questions.
I. He is uniquely the sovereignty of God
John 1:1-2 (NIV), In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning.
A. I stressed that these verses tell us that Jesus did not come into existence at the time that we call Christmas.
1. These verses tell us that Christ has always been in existence.
2. Christ was God and He was there in the beginning with God.
3. The word “Word” here refers to Jesus Christ.
4. The time that we call Christmas is actually verse 14 where it says, “The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.”
5. Jesus Christ was the Word that was with God in the beginning and He was God.
6. When Christ was formed in Mary’s womb was therefore not when He came into existence, but simply the time when He put on some flesh and became a human.
7. This is therefore no ordinary baby. This baby is God.
B. This baby is the sovereignty of God.
1. The word “sovereignty” means, “super reign.”
2. Sovereignty means the super reign or rule over everything and everyone.
3. This baby is God and is the super-reigner of God.
C. Daniel 2:21 tells us that God rules over nature and kings.
Daniel 2:21 (NIV), He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.
D. Acts 17:31 tells us that God has appointed a day when the world will stand before Christ for judgment.
Acts 17:31 (NIV), For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."
E. 1 Corinthians 15:25-28 tells us that God has put everything under the reign of Christ.
1 Corinthians 15:25-28 (NIV), For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27 For he "has put everything under his feet." Now when it says that "everything" has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. 28 When he has
- All Sermons on Christmas
- Text Illustrations on Christmas
- Video Illustrations on Christmas
- PowerPoint Template on Christmas
- Scripture on Christmas
Join the discussion