Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
INTRO. Generally speaking, there seems to be mainly 3 kinds of church members:
1. Those who mostly moan about what canít be done;
2. Those who mostly brag on what has been done, in the past;
3. Those who donít care one way or the other.
Some believe God demands too much of us;
Some believe they can meet all of Godís requirements without trying.
Some donít really care what God wants from them.
God does not expect us to do more than we are able nor does He expect us to brag about what we have already done, but He does want us to do something! The thing Jesus asks of us all is that we JUST BE CHRISTIANS!
Now days we have Baptist, Methodist, Lutherans, etc. all calling themselves Christians. I am not ashamed to be known as a Ďconservative, fundamental, Landmark Missionary Baptist.í But I do not and will not claim a creed as so many others. If you ask my creed I will say, "My creed is the Bible and my founder is Jesus Christ."
I will not stand up and preach that we need to do away with denominations. For that is part of the way we discern one from another. But it is interesting to note that Acts 11:26 does not name the denomination of the group meeting at Antioch. It only says, "And the disciples were first called Christians at Antioch."
That is the very point of this parable. We are to strive, first and foremost, to just be Christians.
I. JUST BE CHRISTIANS IN CONFIDENCE.
II Thess. 3:4
A. The greatest danger to the church is not the woodpeckers on the outside but the termites on the inside. Slowly eating away at the confidence to do the job.
1. Many churches are only hollow shells of the powerhouse they once were because they have concluded the job is too big for them anymore.
2. And many Christians are hollow shells of what they were and what they could be if only they had the confidence to fight the good fight of faith.
B. The ĎI canítí Christians are those who are sure they just havenít got the spiritual strength to win over the temptations and tricks of the devil.
1. They forget what Jesus said in Jn. 16:33 - "In the world ye shall have tribulation; but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."
2. It is not Godís wish that we defeat Satan single-handedly...or that we even try.
3. I Jn. 4:1-4
4. Victory over sin and Satan comes only when we have learned that without Christ we can do nothing.
5. Paul was speaking to individuals and churches alike in Phil. 4:11-13 (explain).
C. We see the overwhelming power of sin and at times the whole world seems to be against us and we find ourselves ready to say with Elijah, "Whatís the use?"
1. (ill.) - Bad time for revival, VBS, etc. Mon. - circus, Tues. - Garden Club, Wed. - Mini-series starts on T.V., Thurs. - Gospel singing at the Assembly of God church, Fri. - ball game.
2. Why should the church take a backseat to every side show that hits town? "I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation."
3. If Godís people would just be Christians and have the confidence of Christians the devilís crowd would soon be saying, "This is going to be a bad week for us, thereís a revival in town."
D. Be Christians in prayer.
1. Most of our prayers arenít answered because when we say them we donít expect an answer.
- All Sermons on Holiness
- Text Illustrations on Holiness
- Video Illustrations on Holiness
- PowerPoint Template on Holiness
- Scripture on Holiness
Join the discussion