Learning Victory from Joshua
Sermon shared by Elmer Towns
Summary: The church is God's home
Series: Lesson 12: God's Pernament Home
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
Series: Learning Victory From Joshua Dr. Elmer Towns
Lesson 13: Joshua: An Example to Follow October 14, 2012
A. QUALITIES OF JOSHUA
1. Lived beyond his limitation. Began as a slave, but died a freeman. “Joshua . . . the servant of the LORD, died, being one hundred and ten years old” (Joshua 24:29).
2. Lived ahead of his contemporaries. When ten spies rebelled, “Joshua . . . spoke unto the people . . . the Lord will give us this land . . . rebel not against the Lord” (Num. 14:6-9).
3. Outlived those who wouldn’t follow God.
4. Determined to live close to the Lord. “As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD” (Joshua 24:15).
a. Had a past history of following God.
b. Could influence his family to follow God.
c. Followed God in his old age.
5. Lived above circumstances. When he lost his leader – Moses died – Joshua followed God. “Moses my servant is dead, now therefore arise” (1:2).
6. Didn’t give up because of calamities. When Achan sinned, Israel was defeated. “Joshua said, ‘Alas, O Lord God’” (7:7).
a. Knew when to pray, “Joshua fell to the earth” (7:6).
b. Knew how to pray, “The Lord said . . . ‘get up’” (7:10).
7. Faced obstacles and overcame them. “Now therefore, arise, go over this Jordan” (1:2).
8. Accomplished what his leader began. “The Lord brought us out of Egypt . . . that he might bring us in, to give us the land” (Deut. 6:21, 23).
9. Was faithful to promises he made, especially to his friend. “Joshua . . . gave Caleb . . . Hebron for an inheritance” (14:13).
10. Could do the miraculous by Say-It-Faith. “Then spoke Joshua . . . ‘Sun, stand still over Gibeon’” (10:12).
11. Did not give up when faced with long tedious jobs. “Joshua made war a long time with all those kings” (11:18).
12. Didn’t demand first place. When giving out rewards, Joshua the leader was the last to receive his portion of the land. “When they had made an end to the dividing of the land, the children of Israel gave an inheritance to Joshua” (19:49).
13. Lived by the Word of God. “This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth . . . meditate . . . observe” (1:8).
14. Was a finisher. Be a starter and a finisher. Moses was the entrepreneurial pioneer, and Joshua was the organized finisher. “Joshua took the whole land, according to all the Lord said” (11:23).
15. Joshua didn’t dream of retirement. “Now Joshua was old and stricken and the LORD said, ‘There is land that yet remaineth to be conquered’” (13:1-2).
16. Knew who was his God. “Choose you this day whom you will serve . . . as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” (24:15 ff).
17. Wrote instructions for the next generation. “Joshua wrote those instructions in the book” (24:26).
18. Built monuments so Israel would continue their obedience after his death. “Joshua said . . . this stone shall be a witness to God” (24:27).
19. Was a model of obedience to God to his children and followers. “The people served the Lord all the days of Joshua, and the elders that
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion