Lesson 1: Satan Wants You Blinded
Sermon shared by Elmer Towns
Summary: Satan Wants You to Believe Lies about Hell
Series: Surprising Things About Hell
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
Series: Surprising Things About Hell Dr. Elmer Towns
Lesson 1 May 20, 2012
A. INTRODUCTION: DESCRIPTION OF HELL
1. Hell is the strongest expletive, i.e., curse word.
2. Wrong thinking, hell is at the center of the earth.
3. Ruled over by devil with horns, pitch fork, red suit with tail.
4. There is no intermediate state, go straight to hell at death.
5. Hell is a place of torment; it is not the devil’s playground.
6. God could not be just if he made laws and didn’t punish lawbreakers.
7. God could not be considered truthful if He didn’t warn people of hell.
8. God could not be love if He didn’t prepare an escape for people.
“And I saw the Great White Judgment throne and God sitting on it, and people wanted to run from it, but there was no place to hide. All the unsaved dead stood before God, the powerful and the common person. Then the Lamb’s Book of Life was opened and when anyone’s name was not found written there, he was thrown into the Lake of Fire that burns forever and ever. And the Book of Works was opened, and all were judged according to their works that determined the severity of their punishment. The seas gave up their dead, as well as every grave; even those in hell were brought to be judged. Then all were thrown into the Lake of Fire which is the second death” (Rev. 20:11-15, ELT).
1. If no future punishment for the wicked, there will be no reward for the righteous.
2. The existence of law demands there is a place to deal with consequences.
3. To deny hell is to deny the integrity of Jesus and His redemptive work. The “black holes” of space demonstrate the possibility of an eternal, black, burning “sea” of gas.
“The rich man died and was buried, and his soul went to hell and he was in torment. He looked up and saw Abraham . . . he shouted, ‘Father Abraham have mercy on me, send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in agony in these flames’” (Luke 16:22-24, ELT).
B. WHAT WILL BE FOUND IN HELL?
1. Hell has a one-way window, can see out but not see in. “In torment he looked up and saw Abraham” (Luke 16:22). Part of hell is seeing reward of the righteous, but not enjoying it.
2. A portrait of Jesus on the wall. Is this a “picture,” or is Jesus there in His omnipresence (being present everywhere at the same time)? “If I make my bed in hell, behold You are there” (Ps. 139:8). “Hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne” (Rev. 6:16).
3. No electricity, no light switches. “For whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever” (Jude 13). “Outer darkness” (Matt. 25:30; 22:13). The flames are dark and give no light, only heat. One ancient described, “Scandalized by darkness,” i.e., darkness is terrifying.
4. Some preachers are there. “Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’” (Matt. 7:22-23). They denied the truth that was
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion