Lesson 6: I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life
Sermon shared by Elmer Towns
Summary: “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me’” (John 14:6).
Series: The Seven “I AM” Statements
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
“Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me’”
1. The article “the” points out the only one.
2. The clause “no one” excludes any other possibility.
3. The “I Am” identifies Jesus as deity.
4. The way – how to get there
The truth – destination
The life – what you get when you arrive
5. The WAY became a description of Christianity.
a. Used by the enemy Paul. “Desired of him letters . . . if he found any of this way” (Acts 9:2).
b. Used by opponents in Ephesus. “Spoke evil of that way” (19:9).
c. Testimony by Paul. “I persecuted this way” (22:4).
B. DESCRIPTION OF GOD’S WAY TO HEAVEN
1. God has a path for us. “Thou shalt keep the commandments of the Lord, to walk in His ways” (Deut. 8:6).
2. His way is correct. “This is the way, walk ye in it” (Isa. 30:21).
3. His way is good. “I will teach you the good and right way” (I Sam 12:22).
4. It’s hard to humanly reach God’s ways. “My ways are higher than your ways” (Isa. 55:9).
5. His way leads to life. “The way of life” (Acts 2:28).
6. Followers will be saved. “The way of salvation” (Acts 16:17).
C. DESCRIPTION OF THE WAYS TO HELL
Four Characteristics of a BROAD ROAD
“The highway to Hell is broad and the gate is wide enough for all the multitudes who choose the easy way” (Matt. 7:13).
1. Easy access. It is easy to get on the wrong path.
2. Few obstacles. Few things to stop you.
3. Lots of friends. Many are on the broad way.
4. Terrible destination. Leads to destruction.
1. Unsaved justify themselves. “The ways of man are clean in his own sight” (Prov. 16:2).
2. Unsaved are not on God’s way. “Neither are your ways, My ways” (Isa. 55:8).
3. Unsaved don’t have right ways. “They turn aside from their crooked ways” (Ps. 125:5).
4. Unsaved don’t know where they are going. “They walk in the way of darkness” (Prov. 2:13).
5. Many unsaved teach wrong ways. “Many shall follow their (immoral) pernicious ways” (II Peter 2:2).
6. Unsaved are headed to death. “There is a way that seemeth right to a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death” (Prov. 14:12).
7. Prostitution leads to spiritual destruction. “Her house is the way to Hell” (Prov. 7:27).
Truth is that which agrees with itself, and corresponds with the world of reality.
1. “Jesus said, ‘Every one that is of the truth, heareth My voice’” (Hearing suggests receiving and believing). “Pilate answered, ‘What is truth?’” Truth is the way God is and we should look at things the
way God sees things (John 18:37-38).
2. We should do what the truth says. “Obeying the truth” (I Peter 1:22). 3. We should not disobey what truth says. “I have walked before thee in truth” (Isa. 38:3).
4. To seek God you must seek truth. “Thou desireth truth in the inward parts” (Ps. 51:6).
5. You must promise to speak only the truth. “That thou say nothing but the truth in the name of the Lord” (II Chron. 18:15).
6. You must promise to learn more truth. “Ye shall know the truth and the truth will set you free” (John 8:32).
7. What is the problem? Unsaved cannot believe or won’t believe the truth. “They willingly are ignorant” (II Peter 2:5).
8. Where will people go who reject the truth? Hell. “They all are doomed if they believe not the truth” (II Thess. 2:12).
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion