Let's Get It Right
Sermon shared by Shawn Drake
Summary: This is the 1st sermon in the "Who Is Jesus Christ" series. This sermon ask the question, "Why do we worship Jesus?"
Series: Who Is Jesus Christ
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
Sunday Morning February 10, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: Who Is Jesus Christ [#1]
LETíS GET IT RIGHT!
1. The Lord has burdened my heart that as your pastor I must stop a problem that has been going on for a long time.
2. Please donít take this wrong, but I am not sure we understand what it is to worship and for those of us that do know I am not sure that we are doing it.
3. I am not talking about style. We can worship to a hymn just as easy as a chorus. We also have more components to worship than just singing. For example, we should be worshipping during the offering, not getting in one last conversation.
4. You are probably waiting for me to tell you that you have to close your eyes and raise your hands in order to worship. No, no, no!
5. Thatís not it. If that is what you think, then you donít get it. It is good if you shout amen. It is good if you raise your hands. It is good if you clap. But, doing those things for the sake of doing them or not doing them because itís ďtabooĒ to tradition is wrong. If you clap after the special, great; but you better make sure you know who you are clapping for. If itís for Mark or me or anyone besides God, you better stop.
6. This morning we are going to sing our songs, take our offering, and baptize new believers all during the sermon. I want our service to have meaning. I want us to understand and be reminded of why we come here.
7. I also want the children to stay in here this morning. I want them to hear this also.
8. No more going through the motions. No more playing church. If the music is just going to be something we do because we are suppose to, then letís not have music. Itís time to worship.
9. So why do we worship Jesus?
We Worship Jesus Because He Rescued Us
Whatís Happening In The Church?
1. I am afraid that in our churches we no longer believe practically that Jesus is the Savior of the world. We believe that Jesus is a means to an end. We believe that Jesus is there to make us better husbands and better fathers. We believe that Jesus is there to make us better wives and better mothers. We believe that Jesus is there to make us better businessmen. We believe that Jesus is there to make us more respected in our community. We believe that Jesus is there for many things. We have forgotten that Jesusí prime reason for coming to this earth was to seek and save that which was lost.
2. Turn with me in your copy of Godís Word to Colossians 1:13-23.
Guilt Of Man
1. I love that Paul starts here by showing the guilt of man. We donít like than. We donít like to be shown that we are sinners. Paul starts with guilt. Look in verse 13. ďHe has rescued us from the dominion of darkness.Ē Thatís where we were, in darkness. ďAnd brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves,Ē. Thatís where we were not. ďIn whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.Ē We had to be redeemed and forgiven from our sins. That had to happen because we are guilty before God.
2. There are some people who believe that man is basically good. Those people donít have kids. My first kid taught me that we are all sinners. My second kid taught me that some people are bigger sinners than others. My third kid just confirmed all of the above. We are born in sin and shaped in iniquity.
3. Look at the words here in verse
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion