Living Under an Open Heaven
Sermon shared by Chris Jordan
Summary: Do you ever feel like you’re prayers are just bouncing off the ceiling? God wants us to live under an open Heaven, where we have free access to His abundant blessings!
Series: The School of Prayer
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
More Sermons from Chris
THE SCHOOL OF PRAYER #6: LIVING UNDER AN OPEN HEAVEN
(Aug. 2010 – Beausejour Church – Pastor Chris Jordan)
OPENING: Discuss excitement about and vision for the new school year.
“Do not remember the former things, Nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, Now it shall spring forth; Shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness And rivers in the desert.” (Isaiah 43:18-19).
• We’re on the verge of something big and exciting!
INTRO TO TOPIC:
Do you ever feel like you’re prayers are just bouncing off the ceiling?
We’ve been talking about the power of prayer all summer long: Alone with God, Together with Others, Fire from Heaven, Passion for the Harvest, and Coming to Jesus.
• And yet, many of you, although you’ve been praying passionate prayers, have yet to see your breakthrough come. The Bible talks about this:
• “And your heavens which are over your head shall be bronze, and the earth which is under you shall be iron.” (Deut. 28:23).
• This describes limited access to the blessings of Heaven…
• When Jesus taught us to pray, He said, “Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.” (Matthew 6:10).
THE BIG IDEA: God wants us to live under an open Heaven, where we have free access to His abundant blessings!
I. OPEN HEAVENS REPRESENT GOD’S BLESSINGS:
“Yet He had commanded the clouds above, And opened the doors of heaven, Had rained down manna on them to eat, And given them of the bread of heaven. Men ate angels’ food; He sent them food to the full.” (Psalm 78:23-25).
• The open Heavens here symbolically represented blessings from the Lord. Isaiah prayed:
• “Oh that you would tear the heavens, that you would come down…For since the beginning of the world Men have not heard nor perceived by the ear, Nor has the eye seen any God besides You, Who acts for the one who waits for Him” (Isaiah 64:1,4).
II. JESUS LIVED UNDER AN OPEN HEAVEN:
“When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” (Matthew 3:16-17).
• Every prayer He prayed was answered, every need He had was met – why? Obedience!
III. WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE TO LIVE UNDER AN OPEN HEAVEN:
“1 "Now it shall come to pass, if you diligently obey the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all His commandments which I command you today, that the Lord your God will set you high above all nations of the earth. 2 And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, because you obey the voice of the Lord your God:
3 Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the country.
4 Blessed shall be the fruit of your body, the produce of your ground and the increase of your herds, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flocks.
5 Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl.
6 Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out.
7 "The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before your face; they shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways.
8 The Lord will command the blessing on you in your storehouses and in all to which you set your hand,
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion