Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Then, you get those people at high school unions who stand there looking at you and say, "Oh my how you have changed." What they are really saying is, "Boy, youāve put on weight. Or, I remember you as having more hair, or blonde hair, not white hair. And by the way, were your glasses trifocals in high school ? But then they remember they didnāt have trifocals back then.
And there are always those people who want your lifeās update. They want to hear of your lifeās struggles. Not because they care mind you, as statistics prove, 90% of the population doesnāt care about your problems and the other 10% is glad youāve got them.
Theyāre really not interested in what you are doing either, they just want to see if youāve turned out the way they assumed you would turn out. Thatās when the fun comes in for me. "So, Bob, what are you doing these days ?" they ask, assuming that I have just returned to society from living on a commune in the woods of Washington state for the last thirty years.
The look on their face is so precious when I say, "Well, ten years after high school I finally did go to college, graduate Magna Cum Laude with a degree in business, went to work in the computer industry, had a successful career for twenty years, went to seminary and received a Masterās of Divinity degree and then entered into the ministry. Just about then, itās time to call 911 and start resuscitating the individual. No, reunions are not my favorite thing.
This morning we hear of a reunion that Jesus went to. It was a hometown reunion where he caused just about as much shock as I do at my reunions. Jesus and his disciples had been on a road trip of late. Jesus had been carrying out his threefold ministry of teaching, preaching and healing.
You will remember over the last two weeks that Jesus taught the people on the shore of Lake Galilee, he then calmed the storm on the lake and when he reached the other side of the lake he drove out the demons of a possessed man, healed the woman with the hemorrhage and raised Jairusā daughter from the dead. Now, Jesus decides itās time to return home for a visit.
Mark tells us that Jesus and his entourage of disciples entered his hometown, and when the Sabbath day came, Jesusbegan to teach in the synagogue. We are told that when the members of the congregation heard him begin to preach, "they were amazed." Probably much the same way my Sunday School teacher would be amazed if she heard me preaching today !
The people who knew Jesus, and had seen him grow up wonder where he got his wisdom. They canāt believe it is Jesus who is saying these things. They say to one another, "Isnāt this the carpenter ? Isnāt this Maryās son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon ? Arenāt his sisters here with us today ?"
The reference to Jesus as the "Son of Mary" can be seen as a derogatory way of referring to Jesus. In the first century, sons
Join the discussion