Luke's Portrait of a Beautiful Woman
Sermon shared by Shawn Rose
Summary: In the book of Acts, Luke paints a portrait of a truly beautiful woman...her name was Dorcas.
Audience: Believer adults
About Sermon Contributor
Text: Acts 9:36 – 42
· “Beautiful” – delighting the senses by excellence and harmony, and often also giving great pleasure to the mind by an inner goodness (World Book Dict.)
· We have traded beauty for sensuality
· What is true beauty?
· Luke paints a portrait of a truly beautiful woman; her name was Dorcas
I. Dorcas had a beautiful name (v. 36)
· Tabitha – Aramaic; Dorcas – Greek
· Both mean gazelle or female deer, often praised for its beauty
· May have been physically attractive, but certainly beautiful in her deeds and concern for others
II. Dorcas had a beautiful home (v. 36)
· Joppa means “beautiful”
· Majestic city on the shores of Mediterranean about 40 miles NW of Jerusalem
· Tel-Aviv today
· Dorcas wasn’t beautiful because she lived in Joppa; Joppa was beautiful because Dorcas lived there
III. Dorcas had a beautiful relationship with the Lord (v. 36)
· May have been a convert of Philip’s
· Philip went from Gaza, was found in Azotus (Ashdod), and preached in all the cities until he came to Caesarea (Acts 8:40)\
IV. Dorcas had a beautiful ministry (vv. 36, 39)
· “Almsdeeds” – acts of charity
· Made clothing for and cared for the widows
V. Dorcas had a beautiful testimony (vv. 37, 40 – 42)
· Dorcas died, her friends sent for Peter
· Custom to bury before sundown, no later than 24 hours
· Took 3 – 4 hours to get to Peter, 3 – 4 hours to return
· Peter re-enacts Jairus’ daughter (Mark 5)
· She arose, continued to minister, and to spread the word
· Why is this included? There is an example to follow.
· Dorcas was beautiful because her love for the Lord motivated her to love others.
· Wouldn’t you like to be called beautiful? You are!
· The saved have a beautiful name – Christian
· The saved have a beautiful home – Heaven
· The saved have a beautiful relationship with the Lord
o Church, pray, study, meditate
· The saved have a beautiful ministry – serve others
o Dorcas used the abilities God gave her
o Cooking (soup kitchen), sewing, cleaning, mowing, painting, reading, listening, laundry, driving
o Woman with lots of children, someone came every Friday and did the laundry
o Matthew 25:34 – 40
· The saved have a beautiful testimony
o Mow elderly’s grass for free, say God loves you, and I just want you to know that I do too
· Besides your family, would it make a difference in anyone’s life if you died today?
· Her works were her eulogy. What will your works say about you after you are gone?
· What have you done for the Lord this past week? After all He’s done for you, shouldn’t you do something for Him?
· 1 John 3:16 – 18
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion