Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
(1). Flee (vs 11a).
(2). Follow (vs 11b):
(3). Fight (vs 12-16)
(4). Faithfulness (vs 20-21).
• In September 194 the Sunday Mail newspaper reported that;
• George and Tina Rollason, of York, Pennsylvania;
• Have steered clear of Biblical names in naming their new baby daughter.
• In fact they have gone to the other extreme and called their baby girl:
• ‘Atheist Evolution’.
• In verse 11 the apostle Paul gives Timothy a new name – ‘Man of God’
• Technically it is a title, a description of his character.
• Now Paul wasn’t suggesting he drop his first name Timothy;
• And from now on use ‘man of God’ as his regular tag,
• Rather he is saying that Timothy should live up to being a man associated with God.
• Verse 11 starts with the words, “But you”;
• There is to be a marked contrast between Timothy & the false teachers mentioned earlier
• They are men and women who follow the ways and attitudes of the world;
• But you Timothy are to follow the ways and attitude of God!
• Man of God’ is quite a title;
• And was used in connection with some Old Testament greats.
• Moses – Deuteronomy chapter 33 verse 1.
• Elijah – 1 Kings chapter 17 verse 18.
• David – Nehemiah chapter 12 verse 24.
• So Timothy was in very good company!
In tonight’s section of First Timothy:
• The apostle Paul gives Timothy four instructions;
• To help him maintain success in his ministry;
• And to help him keep his testimony as a ‘man of God’.
(1). FLEE (VS 11A).
“But you, man of God, flee from all this…”
• Sometimes running away is an act of cowardice;
• ill: Nehemiah asked the question; “Should a man flee?”
• In Nehemiah chapter 6 verse 11 – in the context of fleeing and cowardice.
• ill: I don’t think it is an exaggeration to say:
• That the frightened disciples ran away at the cross - Matthew chapter 26 verse 31.
• Again the context of fleeing would be fear & failure.
• Yet other times running away is a sign of wisdom.
• ill: Joseph ran away when tempted by Potiphar's wife (Genesis chapter 39 verse 12).
• ill: David fled when king Saul tried to kill him (1 Samuel chapter 19 verse 10).
• When in danger it may often be best to just simply ‘flee’ to ‘run’.
Note: The Greek word translated into English as ‘flee’ does not mean literal ‘running’:
• It refers to ‘separation’.
• Paul is telling Timothy to:
• Separate himself from the attitude that godliness is a means to getting rich.
• As mentioned in verse 5b
• Separate himself from the drive for wealth.
• As mentioned in verses 9-10.
• Separate himself from the teaching, lifestyle and attitude of false teachers;
• As mentioned in verse 3.
Christians are commanded to ‘flee’ to ‘run’ to ‘separate’ themselves from all these things:
• In fact in the original
- Bible: Truth
- All Sermons on Bible: Truth
- Text Illustrations on Bible: Truth
- Video Illustrations on Bible: Truth
- PowerPoint Template on Bible: Truth
- Scripture on Bible: Truth
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to 1 Timothy 6:11-6:21
- All sermons from Gordon Curley
- Sermons on FLEE
- Sermons on Follow
- Sermons on fight
Join the discussion