My Cup Overflows
Sermon shared by Steve Lotze
Summary: Final Message in Series on 23rd Psalm
Series: 23rd Psalm
Audience: General adults
Sometimes in life we look our cup – measure our capacity – “I’ve got to 4 appts. 2 calls have to return, problem with furnace, issue needs resolved…”
• OK I’ve got just enough for those things – everyone else forget it!
• And we live according to our capacity and not according to overflow
• God want you to serve Him according to the overflow not capacity!
• “No reason for you to serve me out of principle – interest enough!”
• “More than enough overflow to do what need to do.
• Our cups are to be OVERFLOWING!!
This should be the normal experience of the Christian life
• Abundant energy, strength, faith, overflowing capacity to meet the needs of life.
You say – “…but sometimes I’m not experiencing that!”
• That which quenches overflow – sin
• Problem is we excuse it as nerves, or tired, or under pressure…
• And if we want the overflow in our lives again – need to confess sin
• When sin is seen to be sin – blood of Christ cleanses – cups overflow
• But blood doesn’t cleanse excuses!
“Well, you know I’m just not an overflow kind of person”
• But can’t get away from fact – God wants us to serve out of overflow!
When you sense diminished capacity…
1. Confess sin that hinders Holy Spirits overflow – ask what’s blocking
2. Increase fellowship w/God – that helps overflow – time in Word – time in prayer, increased and focused time – 3 hr challenge
“That’s great for you – but not only not sitting at table – I kicked it over – went off on my enemies –
That’s great that you were feeling diminished and had to reach into your capacity – but not only am I not overflowing – I can’t even find my cup – broken on the floor!”
Look at this next part…
3. Abundant _Opportunity_ from the Lord.
6Surely goodness and love (mercy) will follow me all the days of my life,
• Doesn’t matter how far you are from the Lord – or how discouraged – if you’re one of His children – then you have this in your pocket – it can be in your life too
“Surely goodness and mercy…”
• Goodness = bounty / blessing
• Mercy = favor / loving kindness = Heb. “hesed” – 246 times OT.
• David’s favorite word to describe the attitude of God toward His children
Ps. 86:13For Your lovingkindness toward me is great, And You have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.
Ps. 33:5He loves righteousness and justice; The earth is full of the lovingkindness of the LORD.
Ps. 98:3He has remembered His lovingkindness and His faithfulness to the house of Israel; All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.
Ps. 36:5Your lovingkindness, O LORD, extends to the heavens, Your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
• It extends – eternal, persistent, - stubborn love God has for His children. He won’t turn His back on us.
Personal testimony of God pursuing me – and still is…
Doesn’t matter how far you’ve gone – He will not lessen His pursuit – He’s after you! – Relentless!
Over 100 years ago a preacher preached about the hounds of heaven…
• These hounds are after you!
• No matter where you are / what you’ve done – they’ll track you down!
• Therefore – my best days are ahead!
World says if in 30’s or 40’s – little grey – best days are behind you – true!
• But if you’ve got the Lord as your Shepherd – best days are ahead!
• Doesn’t matter what you’ve done or where you’ve been – best days can be ahead of you in the future
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion