Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
The words that Jesus spoke here and that Matthew recorded for us…strikes a Death Blow to the current trend of modern day contemporary Christianity.
So much of our modern day Christianity is bent on a self-centered consumption.
People today want to identify with Jesus Christ…
They want to call themselves Christians…
And their whole perspective towards this is…for what they can get out of it.
• Self-love…is at an all time high not only in our worldly society, but it has crept into our worldly churches as well.
The truth is…
Ill-informed and Biblically illiterate preachers and teachers have… prostituted the Divine Principle of what Christianity is all about.
• They are teaching something that simply is not right.
• They are proclaiming something that is not Biblical.
“Do you want to be Happy? Come to Jesus.”
“Do you want to be Well? Come to Jesus”
“Do you want to be Rich? Come to Jesus.”
“Do you want Prosperity? Come to Jesus”
And in doing this…they are saying that its all GET and its all Gain.
Jesus comes along and says just the opposite:
• Before you can GET…you’ve got to GIVE.
• Before the GAIN…comes the PAIN.
• Before you can WIN…you’ve got to LOOSE.
Jesus puts it all in the RIGHT order:
• The CROSS comes before the CROWN.
• The SUFFERING comes before the GLORY.
• The SACRIFICE comes before the REWARD.
In Biblical Christianity…and in the Teachings of Jesus Christ…
You’ll never GET…until you have first GIVEN.
You’ll never WIN…until you have first LOST.
THIS is the Truth that Jesus Repeatedly taught throughout the New Testament.
He taught it in Matthew’s Gospel and Mark’s and Luke’s and John’s Gospel.
• This was Important!
• This was Necessary!
• He taught it over and over and over again!
You GET by GIVING.
You GAIN through PAIN.
You WIN by LOSEING.
Up until this point in time here in Matthew 16, Jesus has taught them time and time again about…
The Cost of Discipleship…the Sacrifice involved…the Hostility they could expect…the Reproach they would endure…
BUT STILL…THESE DISCIPLES HADN’T CAUGHT ON!
And there’s a reason why they hadn’t.
These men were literally raised on a “Glory” concept of the Messiah.
When the Messiah arrived, they expected Him to
And Establish His Kingdom.
It was hard for them to accept the fact that even when Jesus was presented with the opportunity of becoming King of Israel…He flatly rejected it!
BUT…They had seen Him perform Miracles that could not be explained!
AND…they had heard Him speak with such authority like none other…
And in their heart of hearts…they KNEW He was the Messiah!
NOW…let’s back up a bit to verse 13…and work our way back to the text.
By this time, these men had been with Jesus some 2 and a half years.
*Vrs.13, “Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?”
Peter eventually speaks up and says, “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God.”
We know You are the Messiah.
We know You are in essence One with God.
We know You are the Son of the Living God.
Jesus responds back by saying…Peter, only God could have revealed My Deity to you…and Upon My Deity I will build My Church.
Then Jesus says in vrs.19…
- Call of the Disciples
- All Sermons on Call of the Disciples
- Text Illustrations on Call of the Disciples
- Video Illustrations on Call of the Disciples
- PowerPoint Template on Call of the Disciples
- Scripture on Call of the Disciples
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Matthew 16:24-16:28
- All sermons from John Beach
- Sermons on Parable
- Sermons on sower
Join the discussion