Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
I. Life can often resemble running on a treadmill going no place.
A. Life has become so burdensome and predictable that we often dread getting up in the morning to face another day.
1. Modern Americans are a very fearful people. We are surrounded by so much uncertainty we fear what each day may hold.
2. The vast majority of Americans hate the lifestyle that we are trapped in but feel helpless to anything about it.
3. In the 1960’s people began to call this the age of anxiety. People started realizing that life had become too much for them to handle. However, in recent decades things have gotten worse rather than better.
4. In all honesty we need to rest more from the emotional anguish that accompanies life rather than physical labor.
5. Studies have shown that the majority of Americans spend ten percent more than they have. This includes not just money but time and energy as well.
6. We work hard, play hard and when it is all said and done we crash hard.
7. Joy and relief from burdens cannot be bought with money. The pursuit of wealth may be the single greatest obstacle to making life less burdensome.
B. Jesus’ words are so meaningful and relevant for a people that feel like they are working harder and harder but getting nowhere.
1. These words provide an attractive proposition to all of us who have been wearied and burdened by life.
2. The literal translation from the Greek would say, “All the ones laboring and ones having been packed.”
3. You have to admit that the idea of stepping off the treadmill is quite attractive. However it makes perfect sense we are called to follow Christ not society and no one has ever set a better example of living in the limits which God designed.
4. The problem lies in the fact that we are squeezing living out of life. We are so busy running that we do not have the time to soak in life and enjoy it.
5. Jesus is offering His followers a way
- All Sermons on Grace
- Text Illustrations on Grace
- Video Illustrations on Grace
- PowerPoint Template on Grace
- Scripture on Grace
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Matthew 11:28-11:30
- All sermons from Scott Chambers
- Sermons on Grace
- Sermons on Rest
- Sermons on space
Join the discussion