Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Text: Joshua 10:1-15
Title: “Our Commitment To God”
I. Our Commitment Will Be Challenged (1-5)
• Whenever we make a commitment it doesn’t take long for that to be challenged.
o It was the same say with the children of Israel and their covenant with Gibeon.
• Adoni-Zedek – means “my God is righteous”
o Similar to another king of Jerusalem (Salem), Melchizedek – means “my King is righteous.”
o Genesis 14:18-20
o At one time faith in God in this region had existed so the name was passed on to the next generation of kings, however the faith in God was not.
• These kings join together because of the military success that the children of Israel were having.
o If Israel had been defeated at Jericho and had lost heart to fight Ai do you think these kings would be coming together?
o Success brings contempt and victory brings opposition.
1 Peter 4:12- 14, 16 -- 12 Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; 13 but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy. 14 If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified.
16 Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.
John 15:18-20 -- 18 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also.
• Also notice who is attacked vs. 4, it is not Israel directly but Gibeon, how Israel had just sworn to protect.
o Often challenges to our faith do not come directly on us, but on others that have a direct effect on us.
II. Our Commitment Will Be Called Upon (6-8)
• When we commit to God to do something we better be ready to do it.
• The men of Gibeon send word to Joshua that they are under attack and to send his army ASAP.
• Let’s first look at what Joshua could have done.
o He could have looked at this as an opportunity to erase the mistake He made in making the covenant in the first place.
o He could have easily reasoned that God was even using this to deliver him from a situation he couldn’t afford to be bothered with.
o He could have dragged his feet taking days to get his men ready in hopes that the battle would be over when he got there.
o I mean did not the Gibeonites deserve this fate since they had tricked Israel to begin with.
• We do this kind of thing all the time to get out of the commitments we make.
• Joshua did not think this way.
• Joshua got up and went because it was the right thing to do, as a matter of fact he even drove his men hard all night just to get there, vs. 9.
o It was a distance of 20 miles and would have taken them 8 to 10 hours to get there.
• Because Joshua showed uprightness in character for doing the right thing even when it was not easy or popular, God
- Commitment to Christ
- All Sermons on Commitment to Christ
- Text Illustrations on Commitment to Christ
- Video Illustrations on Commitment to Christ
- PowerPoint Template on Commitment to Christ
- Scripture on Commitment to Christ
Join the discussion