OUR GOD A CONSUMING FIRE
Sermon shared by Babatunmishe Oke
Summary: A prayer sermon addressing our God in the form of a consuming fire
Audience: Believer adults
In Hebrew 12:29 the writer of Hebrews makes a simple, but profound, statement: 5“Our God is a consuming fire.” He does not say that God is like a fire, but that God is a fire. For this reason, “we must
serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear.” Not slavish fear, but “the fear of the LORD, [which] is clean, enduring forever.”
The writer of Hebrews is not speaking of God the Father, or of God the Son, but of God the Holy Spirit. He actually is a fire—a consuming fire.
At various points in the history of Israel the Holy Spirit came down among the people as a fire. In the tabernacle in the wilderness, when Aaron had offered all the appointed sacrifices, fire came out from before the LORD and consumed the burnt offering and the fat on the altar. When all the people saw it, they shouted and fell on their faces.
In Solomon’s case, when Solomon had finished praying at the dedication of his temple, fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the LORD filled the temple. And the priests could not enter the house of the LORD, because the glory of the LORD had filled the LORD’S house.
Later, in a time of apostasy, when the LORD responded to Elijah’s prayer on Mount Carmel, the fire of the LORD fell and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood and the stones and the dust, and it licked up the water that was in the trench. Now when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces; and they said, “The LORD, He is God! The LORD, He is God!” Each time the fire came down and the people fell on their faces, they were not simply moved by a spiritual manifestation. They were responding to the presence of God—God the Holy Spirit—who had come down among them as a consuming fire. In His presence they were physically incapable of standing.
Pray like this;
• Lord, Let every sacrifice I have ever made in your kingdom, be consumed by fire.
• O Lord that answereth by fire, consume me with your fire in Jesus name.
To Purify or to Destroy?
But there are two opposite sides to fire. Fire can be beneficial, but also dangerous. Fire can purify, but also destroy. So it is with the fire of the Holy Spirit. He can minister God’s blessing and favor on those who are obedient. But He can also minister God’s wrath and judgment on those who are presumptuous and self-willed.
You will pray like this;
• Let the fire of the Holy Ghost heap blessings on my destiny this morning in Jesus name.
• Wherever the train of my destiny has been derailed, adjust by Fire in Jesus name.
• Every power and personality sitting on the manifestation of my glory, be consumed by fire in Jesus name.
• O Lord justify your calling over my life with your consuming fire.
• Let all those who are questioning my calling be shamed because you have helped me.
• Every impurity of foundational bondage threatening my existence, be consumed by fire in Jesus name.
• Lord, overhaul the engine of my very existence by Your fire, in the name of Jesus.
Leviticus 10:1-3. 1 Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the LORD, contrary to his command. 2 So fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed them, and they died before the LORD. 3 Moses
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion