Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
1. People love exciting events:
A recent (March 2010) AFP article hit the presses this week:
CHICAGO (AFP) – People fell onto a bag of cash like a pack of hungry piranhas after more than 100,000 dollars tumbled out the back of an armored truck onto an Ohio street, local media reported.
The bag split open after it fell off the back of the vehicle Wednesday and the driver drove away without noticing...
Workers at a nearby flower shop helped police gather up the money in boxes. Several people ended up bringing some of the cash into the police station.
But only about 10,500 dollars had been recovered by the end of the day, the Columbus Dispatch reported.
"We're hoping that more people do the right thing," Whitehall Police Sergeant Randy Snider told the paper.
2. Palm Sunday, the week before Jesus' resurrection, was an exciting day.
What, exactly, happened on Palm Sunday?
3. Were Jesus' disciples wrong to expect Him to establish a kingdom on earth? No.
4. The two tracks of messianic prophecy are closely related to Palm Sunday.
Michael Brown writes, "[Rabbi Sa'adiah Gaon] explained that there would be two Messiahs, the Messiah son of Joseph (mentioned explicitly in the Talmud in b. Sukkah 52a), who was associated with a time of victory mixed with hardship and calamity, and the Messiah son of David, who would establish God's Kingdom on the earth" (from The Jewish Tradition of Two Messiahs, Radio Bible Class, 2004; quoting Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus, Vol. 2 by Micael Brown).
5. The correct understanding is that there is ONE messiah who will come TWO times!
Main Idea: Jesus Christ is the multi-faceted center or our faith. Although we cannot take in all His glory, we must embrace what God has revealed to us about Him.
I. The Worthy LION (1-5)
(show photo of angel)
John is eager to see the scroll opened. The reason is stated by Matthew Henry: “Those who see most of God, are most desirous to see more; and those who have seen his glory, desire to know his will.”
A. Jesus ALONE is worthy
B. He is the Lion of the tribe of JUDAH (show photo of lion)
• Judah is a lion’s cub; from the prey, my son, you have gone up. He stooped down; he crouched as a lion and as a lioness; who dares rouse him?
• The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet, until tribute comes to him; and to him shall be the obedience of the peoples. Genesis 49:9-10
C. He is the ROOT of David
The root, in that He is David's Lord (as per Psalm 110:10); a sprig or branch in that, according to the flesh, He descended from David….
D. He has TRIUMPHED
1. Over the curse
2. Over death
3. Over His enemies
4. Over the devil
II. The Worthy Lion is a LAMB (6-7)
(show photo of lamb)
A. Who had been SLAIN
B. He has great POWER
C. He sees ALL
D. He takes the SCROLL
Scrolls were typically 15 feet long (average) and it was undesirable to write on both sides…..Seals indicated privacy or a violation of privacy… In this scroll, as each seal is broken, events emerge from the scroll as though packed and condensed…
Daniel 9:24 "Seventy 'sevens' are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to
- Easter: Palm Sunday
- All Sermons on Easter: Palm Sunday
- Text Illustrations on Easter: Palm Sunday
- Video Illustrations on Easter: Palm Sunday
- PowerPoint Template on Easter: Palm Sunday
- Scripture on Easter: Palm Sunday
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Revelation 5:2-5:10
- All sermons from Ed Vasicek
- Sermons on palm
- Sermons on lamb
- Sermons on lion
Join the discussion