Parable of the Friend at Midnight
Sermon shared by Jerry Shirley
Summary: Putting persistence in our prayers--When Jesus was asked by His disciples to teach them to pray, He said they need to ask, then seek, and knock until the door opens. Link included to formatted text, audio, and PowerPoint Template.
Series: Parables of Power
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
Parable of the Friend at Midnight
1. In studying the parables of Jesus, we have seen how He used the parabolic method of teaching on different subjects....
a. Mostly on the theme of the kingdom of heaven
b. But also in response to questions by His disciples and even His enemies.
2. One such parable was told in response to a question related to prayer...
a. Jesus had been praying in a certain place - Lk 11:1
b. When He ceased praying, one of His disciples asked: "Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples"
3. In answering that request, Jesus did three things...
a. He first told them "how" and "what" to pray for
b. He then told a parable to stress a crucial element in "how" to pray
c. He followed up by elaborating on what the parable was designed to illustrate
4. The parable is known as "The Friend at Midnight"
a. It is recorded in Lk 11:5-8
b. In it we find Jesus illustrating the importance of "persistence in prayer"
[Letís begin our study by noticing that...]
I. JESUSí PRAYING PROMPTS A REQUEST
A. HE HAD BEEN PRAYING IN A CERTAIN PLACE - Lk 11:1a
1. In the gospels we see glimpses into the prayer habits of Jesus
a. Rising early to pray in a solitary place - Mk 1:35
b. Often withdrawing into the wilderness to pray - Lk 5:16
c. Praying all night in preparation to selecting His apostles
- Lk 6:12-13
d. His beautiful prayer recorded in Jn 17
e. His agony in the Garden of Gethsemane - Mt 26:36-44
f. His prayers on the cross - Mt 27:46; Lk 23:34, 46
2. Undoubtedly His example had an impact on those who saw Him praying
B. A DISCIPLE WANTS JESUS TO TEACH THEM TO PRAY - Lk 11:1b
1. Even as John had taught his disciples
2. Certainly this Jewish disciple knew how to pray in some sense, but understood that Jesus had so much more to teach him
[We may know how to pray, but we can always learn more from the Master of prayer...and we learn by hearing prayers and by practicing and praying ourselves.]
II. JESUS ANSWERS BY TEACHING A MODEL PRAYER
The Lordís Prayer. See sermon here.
III. THE PARABLE OF THE FRIEND AT MIDNIGHT
A. THE PARABLE SUMMARIZED...
1. You find yourself with company and inadequate provisions
2. Yet you know that you can go to your friendís house and borrow some food
3. Even if it late at night, and...
a. He and his family are already in bed
b. He would normally not help you, even though you are a friend
...yet you know that if you "persist", he will help you! - Lk
B. THE POINT OF THE PARABLE IS SIMPLE, BUT IMPORTANT...
1. Jesus is illustrating the importance of "persistence in praying"
2. One does not know "how" to pray, then, unless they learn to be persistent in prayer!
[The importance of persistence is stressed even further as we consider...]
IV. JESUSí APPLICATION OF THE PARABLE
A. THE IMPORTANCE OF PERSISTENCE - Lk 11:9-10
1. It is those who ask, seek, and knock, who will receive, find, and have doors opened
2. The element of persistence is implied even in...
a. The present progressive tense of the verbs for "ask",
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion