Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
INTRO.: Few will argue with the statement peace is one of manís constant quests in this life. Weíve tried many ways to achieve peace, even going to war.
Yet, all our efforts seem futile and the world is armed and ready for war. We are engaged in a worldwide war on terror. It seems there are those who actually prefer war to peace. They promote their ideas through violence and gain their wealth by force.
We have failed to gain peace through all our human efforts because we havenít turned to God and sought His will. In reality, all we want is an armed truce, not peace. We just want people to stop bombing and trying to destroy us. All our human efforts are aimed at nothing more than an armed truce.
God has something better to offer. The Christian has a promise of perfect peace not based on outward circumstances.
John 14:27 - "Peace I leave with you"
Jn. 16:33 - "These things have I spoken unto you that you might have peace."
Rom. 5:1 - "since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,"
Gal. 5:22 - "The fruit of the Spirit is peace."
Phil. 4:7 - "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
True peace comes to the soul from God through Christ.
I. There are several conditions that make us yearn for peace:
A. Inner conflict:
1. We do what we donít want to and know we ought not to do. Rom. 7:19
2. We are often at cross purposes with ourselves and hear it said "He is his own worst enemy."
3. The conflict is between our emotions and our intellect.
4. We could be at peace if we could just achieve inner harmony.
5. God Himself is exempt from such struggle. In His mind, there is only perfect peace. He alone is qualified to give us perfect peace.
B. Anxiety about the future:
1. Itís hard to find peace when we donít know what tomorrow ill bring. Itís human to worry.
2. We are anxious about sickness, death, poverty, our families, etc. because we donít know the future.
3. It would be nice if life were like a movie weíve seen once. Knowing the ending, we watch it without anxiety.
4. Peace is knowing everything will work out in the end.
5. God has that perfect peace because He know the end from the beginning.
C. Our sense of guilt:
1. A guilty conscience is a great disturber of peace.
2. Great conflict results from trying to defend or cover up a sin. Sometimes we even become violent.
3. If one knows he is right, no one can disturb his peace unless they manage to plant a little doubt.
4. Peace is knowing you are always right.
5. God is always right. He has never suffered from a guilty conscience.
D. The presence of hate or fear disturbs our peace:
1. No peace comes from holding a grudge and seeking ways to avenge yourself.
2. There is no peace if we are insecure.
3. ILLUS.: after experiencing a hurricane, I installed deadbolt locks on my doors. They wouldnít protect against a hurricane, but they seemed to relieve my heightened sense of insecurity.
4. Peace means loving everyone and knowing they love you.
5. Harboring no fear or hatred, God enjoys perfect peace.
II. There is an inner peace for Godís people: Phil. 4:7
A. Christ is our perfect example even at the tomb of Lazarus Jn. 11:42, 43
1. :he is completely
- All Sermons on Peace
- Text Illustrations on Peace
- Video Illustrations on Peace
- PowerPoint Template on Peace
- Scripture on Peace
Join the discussion