Sermon shared by Jeffery Richards
Summary: Sermon four in a series of seven based on Proverbs 6:16-19
Series: Seven Sins to Avoid
Audience: Believer adults
About Sermon Contributor
Tonight we look at the fourth of seven sins to avoid. Seven sins that make God sick. Things that were so dangerous and destructive that God listed them in his Word as being especially rottenous to him.
The specific area that we will study tonight will deal with “The heart that deviseth wicked imaginations.” To put that in modern language let me say it this way…. “It is putrid before God when someone, in secrecy, plans and plots wicked actions.”
Tonight we will break this down into three areas of focus.
A) Meaning of the word---The Hebrew word for deviseth means something that is done in secrecy and subtlety. A sneaky plan.
The world’s view of this is seen in Thomas Carlyle’s statement “He who has a secret should not only hide it, but hide that he has it to hide. “
B) It is a trait obtained directly from the father of this world. Who is the father of this world? Satan…..
1) Garden of Eden---Very sneaky in his approach to Eve.
2) Us-----When Satan works in our mind to get us to do something evil it is always with the greatest subtlety.
3) Abraham Lincoln said “You can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.”
C) It is a practice that comes from having no fear of the Lord. Psalms 36:1-4
D) It carries with it the idea of intentional sin. Ecclesiastes 5:4-5
A) Jeremiah 17:9-10 teach us that the basic nature of the heart is wickedness.
That is not given as an excuse for the next verse tells us that God will look into and judge our hearts.
B) If we are a child of God, our heart can be the source of many great things.
1) Compassion 2) Giving 3) Serving 4) Surrender
Or we can choose to allow those deceitfully wicked things to dwell there and ferment.
III. WICKED IMAGINATIONS.
A) Evil plans.
1) Against others as we will deal with in upcoming messages from these 7 sins.
2) To fulfill our selfish and sinful desires.
B) What is the cure? We can know what the Bible says about a heart that deviseth wicked imaginations but unless we offer a cure from God’s Word the message is not complete.
1) Make sure that the Holy Spirit is indwelling our heart---Because of Salvation
2) Make sure that the Holy Spirit is filling our heart-----Because of Sanctification
3) Make sure that the Holy Spirit is the focus of our heart. Phillipians 4:8
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion