Sermon shared by Jerry Flury
Summary: A look at what presumptuous sins are, whether or not they can be forgiven, and how we should deal with presumptuous sin.
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
In Psalm 19 David asks for help against presumptuous sin. Every sin is greatly evil and is offensive to God, but there are some sins that are more grievous than others. These are known as presumptuous sins. Today we will look at what presumptuous sins are, whether or not they can be forgiven, and how we should deal with presumptuous sin.
I. What is presumptuous sin?
A. Presumptuous is sin that is committed willfully against known truth and knowledge in total disregard for that revealed truth.
1. A sin of ignorance is not presumptuous sin.
2. Ezekiel 45:20 "And so you shall do on the seventh day of the month for everyone who has sinned unintentionally or in ignorance. Thus you shall make atonement for the temple.”
3. Adam and Eve provide an illustration of the distinction between the two.
4. 1 Timothy 2:14 “And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.”
5. Adam knew what he was doing – willingly, willfully. He was not without understanding as to his choice of action. He had revelation to his purposeful act.
6. In Joshua 6:18 Israel was told “"And you, by all means abstain from the accursed things, lest you become accursed when you take of the accursed things, and make the camp of Israel a curse, and trouble it.” In the next chapter we find Achan willfully going against the revealed command and coveting, hiding and stealing a Babylonian garment.
7. Presumptuous sin is a violation against the witness of conscience, given counsel, and/or a revelation of the Word.
B. Presumptuous sin is sin that is committed with deliberation or forethought
1. A passing thought to sin is not presumptuous sin. When the thought is mulled over and enacted upon that it becomes willful or presumptuous sin.
2. James 1:14-15 “But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.”
3. Someone has said that “Dwelling on unclean thoughts nurtures the ‘seeds’ of sin in our heart”.
C. Presumptuous sin is sin that is committed with the intention of sinning.
1. It is knowing that which is wrong and with deliberation and disregard intending to do it anyway.
2. We intentionally sin, with our eyes open, and with a heart that says, "I know God says this is wrong and harmful, but I just don't care what God thinks; I'm going to do it anyway."
3. Hebrews 10:28 "He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:"
4. Presumptuous sin is sin that is committed defiance
5. Numbers 15:30-36 “‘But the person who does anything presumptuously, whether he is native-born or a stranger, that one brings reproach on the LORD, and he shall be cut off from among his people. 31 Because he has despised the word of the LORD, and has broken His commandment, that person shall be completely cut off; his guilt shall be upon him.’” 32 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. 34 They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him. 35 Then the LORD
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion