Principles of The Harvest
Sermon shared by Ronald Hughes
Summary: Evangelism is more effective when you understand Gods view of the harvest field.
Series: Raiders of The Lost
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
Raiders Of The Lost VI
"Principles of The Harvest"
Matthew 9: 36-38 Rev. R. B. Hughes
- When you think of harvest you think of farmers.
- Everything rises & falls on the harvest.
- Will they keep the farm another year?.... Depends on the harvest.
* A farm can only go on so long without a harvest.
· It can become a "hobby farm"
· A hobby Farm does not need a harvest to exist.
Afraid many of our churches have become ... "hobby churches".
You see everything depends upon the harvest at harvest time!!
- Other things become secondary.
The harvest waits for no man.
Matthew 9: 36-38 & Luke 10 ...... Talks about the harvest!
Harvest time was the happiest time of the year in Palestine (Ps.126:5-6)
It was marked by many religious festivals & feasts.
SHOW ME A CHURCH WITHOUT HARVEST AND
I’LL SHOW YOU A CHURCH WITHOUT JOY!
Jesus is not pleased with:
1. Fishing without catching (Luke 5:4-11)
- Ever fish like that? ... boring!! .. Rest? .. You can rest in heaven!
2. An empty banquet table (Luke 14:16-24)
- go into the highways & by ways .. compel: "Grab & pull them in"
3. Sowing without reaping (Matt.13: 3-9)
4. Fig tree with no fruit (Luke 13: 6-9)
- green leaves & shade were not good enough.
5. Lost sheep not brought into the fold (Luke 15)
6. Lost coin not sought & found (Luke 15)
7. A good harvest that is not reaped (Matt. 9: 36-38)
8. Proclamation with no response (Matt. 10: 14)
- Not just hearers but doers ... shake dust off & move on!
PRINCIPLES OF THE HARVEST (Matthew 9: 36-38)
1. We Have a Tendency To Postpone The Harvest.
- Sneak this in from John 4:35
- You say in four months!!
Jesus says: OPEN YOUR EYES!! LOOK AND SEE!! NOW!!!
"Lift up your eyes" ..... WHY? ... They are on yourself!
- Nothing will distract you more from the harvest than your eyes on yourself!!
Not later!!! ..... NOW!! "ALREADY TO HARVEST!!"
"Lift up your eyes" ... YOU HAVE A PURPOSE!!!
First principle of the harvest: IT IS READY NOW ... WE JUST HAVE TO SEE IT.
* Eyes off ourselves ... eyes off the ground ... Look to the fields!
SEE FOR YOURSELF!
*We talked "people of the harvest" last Sunday night*
* Jesus WENT - SAW - FELT - COMPASSION
2. The Harvest Is Plentiful (Matt. 9:36,37)
Joel 3: 13, 14 Put in the sickle, for the harvest is ripe. Come, tread, for the wine press is full; the vats overflow, for their wickedness is great. Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision.
236 times in the bible word multitude(s).
The shortage is not found in the harvest!
Open your eyes ... lift up your eyes ... look on the fields ... white ...
Wherever there is darkness .... there is harvest!!
Try and count the kernels of Corn!
Try and count the grains of Wheat!
The "hobby church" doesn’t see nor need the Harvest!!
3. The Harvest Is Valuable
- Not likened to sand, pebbles ... grass .. BUT FIELDS.
- Importance , significance, worth.
- Again the existence of the farm depends upon the harvest!
Not just numbers .... people!!!
Not just multitudes of numbers ... multitudes of
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion