Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
“A Changed Life---Priceless”
1. A woman was sitting next to an empty seat at the Super Bowl stadium. A man asked the woman about it. The woman explained, “It was my husband’s…but he died.” The man said to her, “I’m surprised that another relative or friend didn’t jump at the chance to take his seat.” She answered, “I don’t understand it either. But, they all decided on going to his funeral instead.”
2. A farmer ran this classified ad in the Quay County Sun: “Farmer with 160 irrigated acres wants marriage-minded woman with a tractor. When replying, please send picture of the tractor.” [AP release, June 1978, Tucumcari, New Mexico]
3. We all have priorities!
a) We are in a five week sermon series called: “A Changed Life---Priceless.”
b) Two weeks ago the first message was: “A Changed Life Requires Faith.”
c) Last week, Dan’s message was: “A Changed Life Requires Service.”
d) Today’s message is: “A Changed Life Requires New Priorities.”
4. A group of friends went deer hunting and paired off in two’s for the day. That night one of the hunters returned alone, staggering under the weight of a 200 pound deer. The other hunters asked, “Where’s Bob?” The lone man said, “Oh, he had a stroke of some kind, he’s a couple of miles back up the trail.” The other hunters were shocked and asked why he left Bob laying there to carry the deer instead. “It was a tough call,” the hunter said, “but I figured no one was going to steal Bob.”
5. Whether we think about it or not, we all live according to priorities.
a) A “priority” is something that has first importance in our life.
b) It’s those things that we place higher value on than other things.
c) The Bible is a book of priorities…God’s and man’s.
6. A pilot came on the intercom of his plane: “Ladies and Gentlemen, I have good news and bad. The bad news is that we’re lost. But, the good news is that we’re making excellent time!”
a) Some people don’t stop and ask directions when they’re lost, they just speed up…
b) The Bible encourages us to check the map of God’s Word to see if we’re still on the right road.
7. It is wise to examine where we are in our life.
a) Where is our life headed?
b) Is there any difference between God’s plans for our life and our own life-goals?
c) Will the road we’re on, lead us to heaven…or elsewhere?
I. THERE’S A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TEMPORARY AND ETERNAL PRIORITIES
1. 11God…has planted eternity in the human heart…
Ecclesiastes 3:11 New Living Translation (NLT)
a) We’ve been created with a spiritual thirst that nobody and no thing can satisfy…but God.
b) That emptiness makes us search for what’s missing.
2. Paul’s letters in the New Testament encourage us to examine the priorities of our life.
a) Is our main goal pleasing ourselves or pleasing God?
b) Paul says: “Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called.” 1 Timothy 6:11-12
c) He tells us this because, 13…there is going to come a time of testing at the Judgment Day to see what kind of work each builder has done. Everyone’s work will be put through the fire to see whether or not it keeps its value. 14If the work survives the fire, that builder will receive a reward. 1 Corinthians
- Basics of Christianity
- All Sermons on Basics of Christianity
- Text Illustrations on Basics of Christianity
- Video Illustrations on Basics of Christianity
- PowerPoint Template on Basics of Christianity
- Scripture on Basics of Christianity
Join the discussion