Prison to Praise: Praise Changes Everything
Sermon shared by Charles Wallis
Summary: Paul and Silas were put in prison, and set free by praise.
Audience: Believer teen
About Sermon Contributor
Prison to Praise: Worship brings freedom and salvation
Paul and Silas are freed from prison through praise
Explanation: Text: 16:16-30
1. Paul and Silas get in trouble because of slave girl (money)
2. They are beaten and put in stocks (not fun!)
3. How do the respond? They sing!
Praise and worship brings freedom because…
I. Worship does not depend on conditions 25
1. When everything is going wrong – praise the Lord! (Perspective!When we see what some people are dealing with, our situation is not that bad.)
2. How did they do this? They knew God was still in control!
1. The Bible is full of singing:
a. "O sing unto the Lord a new song; for He hath done marvelous things: His right hand, and His holy arm, hath gotten Him the victory" (Psalm 98:1).
b. Sing about God! Sing about salvation!
c. If we are Christians, we will worship God with music
d. Not Just “I” songs: We need all kinds of songs: Love, Repentance, Conviction, Battle, not just certain songs that I like.
2. Music and worship are not always the same thing
a. They didn’t have any instruments!
b. Some people worship music, but not God.
c. Music is powerful – it can bring you to God or not.
d. Shocking News! People who sing about sex and violence are getting arrested for sex and violence! (Yet we listen to it – “I don’t listen to the words – I just like the beat.”)
3. Worship is a Lifestyle - it was the way they lived.
a. We should not sing love songs to Jesus and then live like the world.
b. Teasing God: Psalm 78:36 (KJV) Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues.
4. What does worship look like? Not perfection:
a. "Do you hear what these people are saying?" Jesus said to them, "Yes! Haven’t you ever read, ’From the mouths of infants and nursing babies you have created praise’?" Mt. 21:16
a. You don’t have to be a pro! Clap, Sing…
b. “That’s not how that song goes!” Shut up and worship!
c. Worship = “Worth Ship” (we can worship anything)
David Robledo: We praise what we earnestly value, and if we praise what we do not value, we are mocking it
II. Worship breaks Chains 26
1. There are some things in life we cannot be free from apart from worship
2. Many battles are won simply by praise
3. The Israelites defeated Jericho by praise
4. Too cool? Adrian Rogers "It’s easier to cool down a zealot then it is to warm up a corpse."
III. Worship Brings People to Christ 27-34
1. Because worship is both vertical and horizontal
2. I can never disregard the affect my worship has on others
3. “Forget about everyone else and just focus on God” is great if you are by yourself!
4. We are here to worship God TOGETHER! (Paul AND Silas)
5. Many Distractions: “I wonder what they are thinking?”
IV. Worship is a Witness to the World: 35-40
1. Come and get us yourself! 16:37
a. Fear came upon the people
b. The apologized – Vengeance is mine says the Lord!
2. The went back to business
3. Why should we shout? Others need to hear!
4. Do you love God? Show him by your worship...
Do you know God sings about you? The LORD your God in the middle of you is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over you with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over you with singing. Zeph 3:17
Worship is to gladly give your whole life to God…
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion