Summary: This message is designed to encourage us to live and worship in a holy manner and to submit ourselves to God's created order of all things.
Proper Attitude and Order In the House Of God
1 Timothy 2:8-15
A. As we begin this morning let me take a couple of minutes and do a recap of where we have been
1. Paul wrote this letter to a “son in the faith” to encourage and exhort him in the ministry he had left him to fulfill.
2. In chapter one Paul spoke of two things:
a. First, was a warning to false teachers – evidentially they were growing more numerous in, and troubling to, the church
b. Secondly was a charge to Timothy, This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare; Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: 1 Tim 1:18-19
3. In chapter two, Paul states that because of these two things Timothy was to lead the church to pray for all in power that the church might have an environment in which they could spread the gospel
4. And this was necessary because it was God, according to 1 Tim 2:4, Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
B. This call to spread the gospel and see all men come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ sets the backdrop for all that follows.
1. It was Jesus who had said to His disciples – the firstlings of the church, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. Matt 28:18-20
2. This has been called the great commission and is still in force today.
3. But Jesus would be the first to tell us the end does not justify the means – things must be done God’s way.
4. That means with the right attitude and in the right way or order.
5. So it will be the Attitude and Order we will be looking at this morning
6. Let’s read our passage found in 1 Tim. 2:8-15 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
We will begin this morning by taking a look at
I. THE PROPER ATTITUDE IN THE HOUSE OF GOD, 1 Tim 2:8-10 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.