“Quitting is not an Option”
October Series: NEVER GIVE UP
October 10, 2010
By: Rev. Rey T. Bechayda
Prov. 24:16 (The Message)
“No matter how many times you trip them up, God-loyal people don't stay down long; Soon they're up on their feet, while the wicked end up flat on their faces”.
A blessed day to all the WINNERS!
Have you tried fighting and slaying your giants this past week? I hope the reason why you are here is because you have won the battle against your “Goliath’s” in life.
Today let me reinforce the message you have just heard last Sunday. If you are convinced that you and I are winners in Christ then quitting is not an option.
Our study focuses on three different pictures of winners in the bible, particularly in the New Testament. Here it is…
The first picture is the picture of…
I. Redemption: Quitting is not an Option for Jesus
"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." NIV
Jesus was sent by His Father to suffer shame… to the point of dying on the cross in order to redeem man from the bondage of sin. Instead of quitting, he submit His life fully to the will of the one who sent Him.
Why Jesus did not consider quitting as an option?
A. He has a clear purpose
- To seek and save the lost…
- This is in obedience to the command of the one who sent Him.
B. He is motivated by His passion to save us
- To suffer and die for our salvation…
- He leaves His comfort zone in heaven and suffers shame on our behalf.
C. He is positive that He will win the battle
- To destroy the works of the enemy and open the gates of heaven for those who believe.
- That we can be where He is and that we can enjoy what He has.
Another picture is a picture of…
II. Persecution: Quitting is not an Option for the Church
Acts 8:1, 4
“…On that day a great persecution broke out against the church at Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria. …Those who had been scattered preached the word wherever they went”. NIV
The early church is facing persecution; their life is in danger especially if they continue in their habit of sharing the Gospel. Instead of quitting, they continue to preach the word wherever they went.
Why the church did not consider quitting as an option?
A. They have a clear mandate
“Go ye into all the world and make disciples of all nations…” Matt. 28:19-20
- The church is aware that they have a clear mandate of reaching out the lost people of the world.
- Whether they are together or scattered… they are determined to spread the good news everywhere.
B. They have a strong message
2 Cor. 5:19b “And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation”. NIV
- The message that Jesus is the only way to heaven (Jn. 14:6)
- The message that the only name that can save men were Jesus (Acts 4:12)
C. They have a deep motivation
John 6:47 “I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life”. NIV