Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Rebuilding the Altar!
If given the chance, would you return to your home place to rebuild it, even if it lay in total devastation?
What are some of your earliest memories of church?
What buildings come to your mind?
What parts of those buildings come to your mind?
When do you remember coming together to get something done for God?
• God raised up a new leader named Cyrus.
• He is led to send to Jews back to their homes.
• At his request, a large offering is given for the rebuilding of the Temple.
• Now, the Jews are back in the land.
• There is a time gap between chapters 2 and 3 (we do not know exactly how long).
• Some estimate that it has been approximately 3 months since their arrival.
• The Jews have settled into their cities, built homes, raised crops.
• Now it is time to get busy in the work of the Lord.
I. The Fervency Restored (1)
And when the seventh month was come [or, was coming], and the children of Israel were in the cities, the people gathered themselves together as one man to Jerusalem.
A. The Month
• The text tells us that this occurred on the seventh month.
• This would be the Hebrew month Tishri, corresponding to our late September, early October.
• This could refer to either the seventh month after the people left Babylon or to the seventh month after they arrived in Jerusalem.
• Or it could just be the seventh month of the calendar.
• The year would be 537 B.C.
• In years past, the seventh month had been a great month religiously for Israel.
• Three religious festivals were held in the seventh month:
1) The Feast of Trumpets on the 1st day (Lev. 23:23-25),
2) The Day of Atonement on the 10th day (Lev. 23:26-32),
3) The Feast of Tabernacles on days 15-21 (Lev. 23:33-36, 39-43; Num. 29:12-39; cf. Ezra 3:4).
B. The Meeting
• Word is published throughout the land that the leaders are calling for a convocation.
• The people, recently settled in their cities, revive a centuries-old tradition.
• The annual pilgrimage to Jerusalem as commanded by the Lord.
• The people are united in taking this divine requirement seriously.
QUOTE: The idea was that they gathered in unity for the same purpose. Unity is one of the basic foundations for accomplishing a work for God (Phil 2:1-4). Lack of unity is one of the hindrances to revival in the twentieth-century church. (KJV Bible Commentary)
Philippians 2:1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
• Nothing could cause more sincerity than the 70 years of captivity they have just endured.
• The people know that the altar and the offerings and the feasts must be restored.
• And they united to get it done!
II. The Fire Restored (2-3)
A. The People
- All Sermons on Revival
- Text Illustrations on Revival
- Video Illustrations on Revival
- PowerPoint Template on Revival
- Scripture on Revival
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Ezra 3:1-3:7
- All sermons from Larry Wilson
- Sermons on work
- Sermons on revival
- Sermons on priority
Join the discussion