Remember The Rainbow
Sermon shared by Kevin Burden
Summary: AFTER THE FLOOD, God put a Rainbow in the sky as a symbol of His eternal covenant with mankind.
Audience: General adults
• God Had A Plan (the Ark, a type of Christ) – 6:14-22.
Made of wood – A picture of the cross.
Shape like a coffin – Portraying death.
Covered with pitch – Same word is translated “atonement” elsewhere.
One Window – One source of light from heaven.
One Door – One way of salvation.
AFTER THE FLOOD, God put a Rainbow in the sky as a symbol of His eternal covenant with mankind.
Isaiah 54:7-10 “For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee. 8 In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer. 9 For this is as the waters of Noah unto me: for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth; so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee. 10 For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee.”
Through the ages God has put three witnesses in the sky to speak to the heart of mankind.
• The Pillar of Fire – Speaks of His Presence, Power & Providence.
• The Star – Speaks of His Position & Pre-eminence. He is above all, before all and the all in all (Col 1:18; Song 5:10).
• The Rainbow – Speaks of His Pledge & Promise. He is a covenant-keeper. What He says, He will do (Heb 6:18; Rom 4:21).
Consider with me some spiritual insight into some facts about The Rainbow:
#1. RAINBOW’S REMINDS US OF OUR SAVIOUR, JESUS CHRIST.
The colors of the Rainbow arise from two basic facts:
• Sunlight is a combination of a spectrum of colors that the eye cannot naturally discern. The range of sunlight colors, when combined, looks white to the eye.
• A rainbow is seen when light of different colors is refracted through a single medium into another (water).
John 4:13-14 “Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: 14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.”
The colors of the Rainbow are…
• Purple speaks of Royalty – 1 Tim 6:15 Jesus “is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;”
• Blue speaks of Heaven – John 3:13 “No man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.”
• Green speaks of New Life – John 1:3-4 “All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.”
• Yellow speaks of Light – John 8:12 “I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”
• Orange speaks of Warning – Matthew 16:2-4 “He answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the sky is red [Purrhos = flamelike, fire colored]. 3 And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times? 4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion