Home » All Resources » Sermons on OT Kings » Maurice Brown, Rise and Fall of King Solomon - Page 1 of 2
A. Meet the Bibleís wisest fool - Solomon, the king with the empty heart
1. No man began with more promise than he did.
2. Yet a good beginning does not mean a good finish.
3. Solomon drifted and finally defected - can it happen to us?
B. Look at the highlights of his life
1. His flawless description I Kings 1-10 (the king who could do no wrong)
2. His fatal disease - sin - failure to take God seriously
3. His final downfall - I Kgs.11:4-6
C. What caused this disastrous demise in Solomonís life?
1. In one word it was COMPROMISE that led to the Kingís fall
2. And finally all his compromises led to a King with an empty heart
I. HE COMPROMISED HIS WISDOM
A. God had blessed Solomon with great wisdom (I Kings 3)
1. For a while he used that wisdom in a useful way
2. I Kgs. 4:29-34 is a full description of this wisdom from God.
B. But Solomon soon became a wise fool
1. He intermarried with heathen women who worshipped idols
2. Had 700 wives, princesses and 300 concubines, and "his wives turned away his heart"
I Kings 3:4
3. What fools we are when we allow anyone/anything turn out heart away from God(II Cor.6:14-18)
4. Be wise- watch your relationship with
those who are not Christians. Letting the wrong people into your life can easily spell disaster and destruction I Cor.15:33
II. HE COMPROMISED HIS WALK
A. At first Solomon had a close walk with the Lord
1. He builds the temple, and dedicates it to God - I Kings 8:14-21
2. His prayer of dedication is one of the most beautiful - 8:22-53
B. God continued to remind him of the importance of a daily walk with Him
1. I Kgs. 9:4-9 - God told him what he needed to do to receive His blessing
2. Yet Solomon compromised his walk, and began to walk with other gods
3. We cannot serve two masters - Matt.6:24. Choose whom you serve - Josh.24:15
4. Determine to walk before God in truth and newness of life - Rom.6:4; 8:1,4
5. Donít compromise your walk with God!
III. HE COMPROMISED HIS WEALTH
A. God had blessed Solomon with great wealth
1. When the Queen of Sheba came and saw his wisdom and wealth she was amazed I Kings 10:6-7
2. Yet these great blessings became stumbling blocks for Solomon.
3. He began to trust his riches more than trusting God.
B. Money is a wonderful servant but a hard task-master
1. We can accomplish great things for the Lord with our money
2. Thatís why I believe every Christian should give as God has prospered
3. There is no excuse for not giving, and it blocks blessings when we do - Mal.3;8-10
4. If God has blessed you with wealth, He is going to hold you responsible for what you do with it. If you donít have much, still be faithful in your
giving each week! I Cor.16:1-2
IV. HE COMPROMISED HIS WORSHIP
A. I Kings 11:5-8 - he did not fully follow the Lord.
B. He even built pagan worship centers - no wonder God was angry
C. God alone is to be the sole object of our worship Matt.4:10
1. He will not accept second
- OT Kings
- All Sermons on OT Kings
- Text Illustrations on OT Kings
- Video Illustrations on OT Kings
- PowerPoint Template on OT Kings
- Scripture on OT Kings
Join the discussion