Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
They may avoid suffering and sorrow but they cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love or live
Charmed by their attitudes they are a slave, they have forfeited their freedom
Only a person who risks is free
Risk taking should be an indispensable part of the Christian walk. When we look back over church history we see Christians who risked all to make a difference for the Kingdom of God. These individuals had courage to begin something or take a stand for God in the midst of difficult circumstances. For some it meant ridicule, slanderous remarks, becoming laughing stocks in their community, it meant being condemned by their community, it meant imprisonment, it meant personal loss of family, friends, and finances. It meant facing a dangerous situation. For some it cost them their lives. But all these risk takers made an eternal impact for the Kingdom of God.
Yet, sadly, on the other side off the coin where the oneís who where Christians but refused or where to afraid to take a risk for God. They waited for a better time, a safer situation, or a guarantee of assured results which never came. These people we have never heard about their names are not known in the Kingdom of God archives. Itís a sad fact that throughout history their have been many opportunities to make a difference but individuals refused to step forward. They refused to take the risk for God. No names - nobody knows about - names lost in history forever!
I. Risk takers of Church history during the last 4 millenniums
A. Lets all reflect back on church history and think about the some-bodies who took risks. There lives showed that this faith walk is risky business - you have heard some of their names but lets recall some of them:
1. Abraham 2,161-1986BC - The patriarch who was the father of the people of God, Abraham the risk taker who left the security and comfort of Ur because of the call of God. He took a risk and became the "father of the multitude " he is the spiritual ancestor of all Jews and the father of the nation of Israel.
2. Isaac- He went to Mount Moriah with his father where Abraham was going to offer up a living sacrifice- Abraham was directed to sacrifice his son- but Abraham knew deep within God would provide a living sacrifice- but Isaac went with and it was risky but God came through with a ram to sacrifice.
3. Moses 1527-1405BC- This man of God gave up the best Egypt could offer to a prince to serve God. He risked his life and reputation in Egypt to serve God. His reward for taking a risk is that nearly every book in the bible references Moses or his writings.
4. Joshua ruled 1406- 1382 BC The risk taker is still considered one of the best military minds of history. His dedication to risking all to take the promised land is noted by all. His strategy and tactics are still classics in military science. He after taking the land devoted himself to strengthening the worship of the Lord even when many others were falling away from God. The last appearance of him in the Bible is one which shows a man challenging the people of Israel to covenant themselves back to God. Once again taking a risk to call people back to God when it was not popular.
5. Deborah- Deborah demonstrated the quality of courage when she rallied the tribes of Israel to attack Sisera and
- All Sermons on Endurance
- Text Illustrations on Endurance
- Video Illustrations on Endurance
- PowerPoint Template on Endurance
- Scripture on Endurance
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Matthew|Deuteronomy 25|31:14|6-25|31:30|6
- All sermons from Michael McCartney
Join the discussion