Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
1. ILL – October 1991 a fishing boat named the Andrea Gail sailed from a New England port to fish for swordfish. On their return, in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean they faced a hurricane named Grace. Waves that measured 10 stories high, winds up to 120 mph. Meteorologist called this hurricane, Grace the “Perfect Storm”. Their decision to travel through the hurricane would cost them their lives.
2. Many times in our lives, unbeknownst to us without any warning a storm occurs. We all will face storms in our lives. No one has a life without storms.
3. This passage gives us the perfect example of our lives in the storm.
4. Mark 4:35-41 (read)
5. There are so many lessons from this story that we will not be able to discuss them all.
6. The disciples of Jesus were involved in a busy day of ministry & instruction. In fact, the Bible says in vs. 35, “that day.” Storms come during busy days of life, sometimes in the middle of our best days we face storms.
7. The storm that these disciples faced came to them while they were living in obedience to God's Word. Jesus instructed the disciples to pass over to the other side of the lake.
8. Disobedient Christians face chastisement. Obedient Christians must learn to live through the trials of life.
9. James 1:2-4 “2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”
10. This trial or storm was not exclusively restricted to the disciples in Jesus' boat. Vs. 36 says that there were other little ships with them. We should keep in mind we are not the only people with problems. Many people go through what we experience.
11. 2 Cor. 10:13 “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”
12. Also, it is important to note the trial or the storm occurred while the disciples were in the presence of Christ. The creator of the universe was sound asleep in the back of the ship.
13. Life is often filled with storms. We must learn to find Christ as our “safety in the storm!”
I. Identify the Storm – Vs. 37 “A furious squall came up”
A storm on the Sea of Galilee was not your average storm. It is situated in a basin surrounded by mountains & is particularly susceptible to sudden violent storms. Cool air from the Mediterranean is drawn down through the narrow mountain passes & clashes with the hot, humid air lying over the lake.
A. The storm was an unexpected event – vs. 37
1. It was a disruption! Life is filed with them.
a. Disruptive moments of crisis – the things in our life we cannot control.
b. Disruptive moments of wonderment – the things you cannot explain.
c. Disruptive moments of aging – the process we cannot avoid.
d. Disruptive moments of discipline – the thing most of us would rather not do.
e. Disruptive moments of death – usually referred to as “untimely.”
2. Often those things which
- All Sermons on Affliction
- Text Illustrations on Affliction
- Video Illustrations on Affliction
- PowerPoint Template on Affliction
- Scripture on Affliction
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Mark 4:35-4:31
- All sermons from Joel Preston
- Sermons on storms of life
- Sermons on Safety in Jesus
Join the discussion