Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Sermon Series: A Word about the Word
Date: May 18, 2003 PM Service
Place: Allendale Baptist
Text: Psalm 119: 73-80
It seems as if I have been repeating myself over and over again in one particular aspect of this study, but I believe I cannot overemphasize this important fact; God’s Word is totally true, accurate and reliable.
While many denominations today, and even within our own Southern Baptist Convention, there is a debate to whether God’s Word is all inspired, infallible and immutable. I for one am not ashamed to say I also believe it is inerrant.
I have lately been accused of criticizing other denomination and being too hard in my preaching especially when it comes to this topic of the Word of God. I don’t mind calling names… The problems churches have gotten themselves into today is one particular item in my opinion; they have remove themselves from the authority of God’s Word and God’s truth.
Use any method to bring folks to a personal relationship with Jesus; Sunday school, small groups, different music, meet in a school, or strip center… but preach God’s Word… and by the way it can’t mean what we want it to mean… we can’t twist it and take it out of context to fit our need. Preach the full counsel of God’s Word… call sin what it is… disobedience to a holy God.
Over and over again the psalmist has reminded us of his own personal commitment to the Word of God. In this section we focus in on two truths; 1. the commitment to sound doctrine and 2. the importance of secure fellowship. We need to believe the right things and we need each other.
I. Creative Activity verses 73-75
A. Fashion verse 73
· This means that the hands of God has been involved in the birth process of each and every one of us.
· If no one has told you lately, you are beautifully and wonderfully made and loved by a living and loving God. You are precious and special in His sight.
· Turn to someone and tell them you are unique and God loves you and I am trying…
· Not only has God made you He has a special purpose for your life.
· If you study of different societies and cultures, all throughout the ages to the present, you will not find one group of people tribe or culture, regardless of how primitive it might be, that did not have some form of worship, trying to enlighten themselves about the person and nature of God.
· My dear friend, we have a message to tell a lost world; “God made you; He loves you; He sent His Son to save you of your sins; and you can know God for yourself.”
· That’s the Gospel… and what a beautiful message…
B. Fellowship verse 74
· Not many of the commentators touch much on this verse of the psalm and as like other times, I must rely on God’s leading through the Holy Spirit to impart His truth.
· This word fear is not the same word we see as trembling or afraid of someone or something, but a respect or reverence for.
· The psalmist is referring to others that fear, respect and reverence the Lord.
· Remember, he has been chastised and mistreated by his enemies. They are waiting for his dimise, his down fall.
· But other believers will rejoice in the fact that God does not forsake His own.
C. Faithfulness verse 75
· There is a teaching today that is very popular and has been for years that says if we live right and think positively we will have no problems.
- Bible: Influence
- All Sermons on Bible: Influence
- Text Illustrations on Bible: Influence
- Video Illustrations on Bible: Influence
- PowerPoint Template on Bible: Influence
- Scripture on Bible: Influence
Join the discussion