Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
D. Thirsting for Temporal Things -
1. Fevers make a person thirsty…and believers who cannot satisfy their thirst for temporal things have spiritual fever.
2. We are exhorted to “love not the world, neither the things of the world, all that is in the world, …..” (1 John 2:14-15)
3. Col. 3:2-3 – “Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.”
E. Aimless Ambitions -
1. Folks suffering from scarlet fever become listless and aimless.
2. There are believers too who are listless and aimless, not caring that they wander in the wilderness of spiritual poverty!
3. All the while, they could cross over Jordan into the land of victorious Christian living if they would only BELIEVE!
4. How sad when there is no vision among God’s people!
F. Tired Taste Buds
1. Whenever one has a fever, nothing seems to taste good.
2. The same can be said of a believer who has a spiritual fever – They no longer desire to feed upon the Word of God!
3. They desire the preacher to introduce something NEW, not the old, old story of Jesus and His love.
4. My friend, this is a characteristic of spiritual fever!
III. Causes of Spiritual Fevers
A. How is it that people contract fevers in the physical realm?
B. Fevers Are Bred in Low Lying Spots -
1. Geographically, we know that people who work in low, lying areas of the world are more likely to contract diseases.
2. The construction of the Panama Canal is a good example of this.
3. Believers living below their spiritual privileges are likely to contract spiritual fevers as well.
4. If you are spending time in the wetlands of worldliness, the seat of the scornful, or attempting to abide in apathy, there is a good likelihood that you will contract a spiritual fever.
C. Fevers Develop by Allowing Things to Stagnate -
1. Whenever pools of water stagnate, they breed all kinds of insects and diseases.
2. The same is true in our spiritual lives – we too will experience difficulties when we fail to exercise spiritually.
3. READ - Jude 17-23
D. Fevers Result from Filthy Conditions -
1. Filth breeds filth…fevers can result from bacteria bred in filth.
2. Areas that are not purged from filth breed more filth, and so on.
3. As believers, we are to separate ourselves from among those who are unregenerate.
4. We are to walk in the light of God’s Word….lest we suffer spiritual fever and be of no use to the cause of Christ.
E. Fevers Result from Poor Diet -
1. I am not medical doctor like Dr. Willis, but I know that diet is necessary to fortify your body against diseases.
2. As a matter of fact, there have been 3 changes to man’s diet since God created Adam – and ultimately there will be a 4th.
3. We as believers will suffer if we do not feed upon the Word of God, fellowship with other believers, and spend time in prayer.
4. If our diet consists of worldliness, we can be sure to contract spiritual fevers.
F. Fevers Can Be Contracted from Others -
1. Sadly, those who suffer from fever can infect those around them.
2. Fevers are a result of disease, and the disease can be contagious.
3. It is not good to spend a great deal of time around those who are infected and suffer spiritual
- Growth in Christ
- All Sermons on Growth in Christ
- Text Illustrations on Growth in Christ
- Video Illustrations on Growth in Christ
- PowerPoint Template on Growth in Christ
- Scripture on Growth in Christ
Join the discussion