Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
The Year was 1990, and we had a problem in our school. Someone was handing out little patches with cartoon pictures and symbols – like temporary tattoos. Only thing was they were laced with LSD! Acid! Talk about scary! It’s a terrible drug that is HIGHLY addictive and incredibly dangerous! You don’t even have to put it in your mouth—just getting it on your skin will have effects on you! Once it gets in, it sends you on what is commonly known as an acid trip—a hallucination-filled, terrifying experience that can damage your brain upon the very first use!
Today, many Christians have an addiction to LSD…not the stuff that was causing the chaos in our school, but a Spiritual LSD! James calls us out, and tells us that we need to pay close attention to the trap that this LSD sets!
READ JAMES 1:13-16
I. L. = LUST (James 1:14 NIV & NASB)
A. The NIV says “desires,” but Lust is a much better word for it!
1. Evil Desire seems sterile! If I desire something, I want in it!
I don’t hear too many folks saying, “Man, I desire to be evil!”
or “I desire me some sin!”
2. Lust! Now THERE is a four letter word! Lust brings out the
FULL force behind it! If you lust for something, you BURN
B. The best commentary on the Bible is the Bible.
1. I can’t think of a better way to illustrate LSD than by showing
where God-fearing, Bible-believing people fall short and hurt
2. The most obvious one that stands out to me is David, a man
after God’s own heart!
C. 2 Samuel 11:2-5 – He couldn’t help it! He was smitten!
1. If it’s one thing I can’t stand is when we try and make excuses
for our actions!
2. Illust. My grandfather was an alcoholic – up to the day he passed
away. My father is a recovering alcoholic – he quit when I was
in the 8th Grade, and hasn’t had a drink since! So, I suppose
that gives me the right to drink myself into oblivion? Why?
I was born that way!? NO!
D. Lust breeds in the heart and we crave that which is making that
lust grow, causing an addiction to…
II. S. = Sin (James 1:15a)
A. Although it only takes one sin to cause issues, it seems to always
multiply like rabbits! When one sin comes in, it brings in a ton of
new ones to try and cover the first!
B. 2 Samuel 11:6-17, 26-27 - He tries bringing the man out of battle
to be at home with his wife, he tries getting Uriah drunk so he will
sleep with his wife and make him think he was the dad, and then…
he just kills the man! Sin on top of sin on top of SIN!
C. Not only did it displease the Lord, it lead to…
III. D.= Death (James 1:15b)
A. 2 Samuel 12:1-10
1. Notice David’s reaction to Nathan’s accusation against the
2. It is so easy to blame someone when the shoe is on the other
- Basics of Christianity
- All Sermons on Basics of Christianity
- Text Illustrations on Basics of Christianity
- Video Illustrations on Basics of Christianity
- PowerPoint Template on Basics of Christianity
- Scripture on Basics of Christianity
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to James 1:13-1:15
- All sermons from Robert Harmon
- Sermons on Lust
- Sermons on Death
- Sermons on Sin
Join the discussion