OPEN YOUR BIBLES TO 2 TIM 1
1. The final words of a man or a woman are very important.
a. Sometimes they contain encouragements & exhortations.
b. Other times they reveal insights & direction for the future.
c. Most of the time they reveal an intense love that has been shared over the years together.
d. So when a person shares his/her final words, immediately our ears perk up and we pay very close attention.
2. 2nd TIMOTHY has been often been called “Paul’s Dying Epistle.”
a. By the time Paul writes 2 Timothy, he’s ready to die and go on to be with His Lord.
2 Cor. 5.6-8 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.
b. THIS IS the last letter that Paul writes chronologically.
c. He’s in the MAMMERTINE PRISON prepared to meet Nero.
d. And by this time… he’s just ready. He’s prepared!
3. You’ll see throughout Paul’s letters that he uses favorite words.
a. One of those words is “FINALLY”
b. He uses it some 7 times: For instance:
2 Cor. 13.11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Become complete. Be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.
Eph. 6.10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
2 Thess. 3.1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you,
AND NOW TO TIMOTHY
2 Tim. 4.8-9 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing. 9 Be diligent to come to me quickly;
NOTE: He’s ready, not idle & passive… in his final moments, rather than sit & wait, we find Paul steady & willing.
• There’s ministry to be done! So He jots this note to Timothy.
• It’s been about 5 years since the first letter, even though we turn the page and there it is.
• And in the mind of Paul, his young protégé comes to mind.
• I have some things I need to share with him!
Timothy was Paul’s son in the faith. They spent some 15 years together serving in the ministry.
• Timothy we see, was a good support man, a servant.
• His personality mixed perfectly with Paul’s
• While Paul was bold & assertive. Tim was shy and sensitive.
• What a dynamic team they became for the Lord!
But… it was time for Paul to head off into eternity. Shortly, Paul would lose his life at the hands of Caesar Nero.
• Our history books tell us of the insane Nero, fiddling while Rome burned, a Rome that he set on fire.
• For you history buffs, as you study the life of Nero, and the life of our beloved Paul, you might see the chronology lining up to this very imprisonment… as Paul had opportunity to share the gospel with him. Which some say is why Nero went insane.
• It’s a fascinating history lesson… but for us we see Paul