Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Background: What a word is this! If you have a KJV, it has an exclamation mark after these words. After people heard Jesus teach, after they heard Jesus pray, After they saw Jesus heal, after they saw Jesus cast out demons, they said, now that’s incredible. Today, we have the same incredible Jesus, with the same incredible word, and should operate in the same incredible power, and our world should be amazed, astonished, and this word should be contagious as it is spread throughout the land.
I. Astonished—v.32 The first thing that was incredible to people was his doctrine. The doctrines of Jesus Christ were different than the words of the scribes and Pharisees.
a. they weren’t just religious jargon—people hate to hear religious truisms. The religious people had a saying for every situation, but to the sinner, to the heathen of this world, they don’t want a religious word, they want a powerful doctrine.
b. His doctrines are powerful—today people want a doctrine of deliverance, they want a doctrine that is greater than their mountains, greater than their struggles, what a word is this!
c. Doctrines aren’t just letters on paper, but are quick and powerful, sharper than a two edged sword.
Ill) yesterday at the Todd and Summer’s Wedding,( L.B and Jeannie’s granddaughter) during the Pastoral prayer, I asked everyone at the wedding to stretch their hands to help pray blessings on the Bride and Groom. At the end of the prayer, as I looked at everyone in attendance, I could tell that some people were astonished. That someone could pray a blessing on another person was beyond some of their concepts.
II. Amazing—v.36—there is a song that says, there’s no other word for grace than amazing, but we can add, there’s no other word for Jesus than amazing. When Jesus shows up anywhere people leave amazed.
1. amazed that the devil declares that he will be destroyed in the end—if you read scriptures where demons are involved, they always declare that Jesus is Holy, Jesus is Mighty, and they know the end of the book.
2. amazed at his authority—the other day in Prattville, the governor addressed our group that was attending a Republican fund raiser. When he came to the microphone he spoke with authority. He didn’t say, now you need to listen to me because I am the governor, he just spoke and people listened. With Jesus, it’s a 100 times greater, because the governor has authority in Alabama, but Jesus has authority from above.
3. amazed at how quickly he defeated the devil—no struggle, no hassle, immediate deliverance.
Ill) years ago people named their children with virtuous names, joy, prudence, comfort. One boy had the name amazing, which he resented all of his life. He was teased a lot with the name
- Growth in Christ
- All Sermons on Growth in Christ
- Text Illustrations on Growth in Christ
- Video Illustrations on Growth in Christ
- PowerPoint Template on Growth in Christ
- Scripture on Growth in Christ
Join the discussion