Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Gen. 25:29 One day when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau arrived home exhausted and hungry from a hunt. 30 Esau said to Jacob, “I’m starved! Give me some of that red stew you’ve made.” (This was how Esau got his other name, Edom--“Red.”) 31 Jacob replied, “All right, but trade me your birthright for it.” 32 “Look, I’m dying of starvation! (“starving to death”)” said Esau. “What good is my birthright to me now?” 33 So Jacob insisted, “Well then, swear to me right now that it is mine.” So Esau swore an oath, thereby selling all his rights as the firstborn to his younger brother. 34 Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and lentil stew. Esau ate and drank and went on about his business, indifferent to the fact that he had given up his birthright. (NLT)
* “Now” – use illustration about trying to get people to wear parachutes because they are comfortable.
• Often the “little things” we do, don’t reveal their importance until much later.
• “Now” – today, doesn’t seem to have much relationship to tomorrow, until tomorrow comes!!!! (TODAY???)
Heb. 12:16 See that no-one is sexually immoral (sensual), or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son. 17 Afterwards, as you know, when he wanted to inherit this blessing, he was rejected. He could bring about no change of mind, though he sought the blessing with tears. (NIV)
• Esau had no remorse for his insult to God, loss to himself or his posterity – he lived to regret it!
• This verse is a link between the physical birthright and the spiritual inheritance. (More than land was lost)
Eph 1:18 I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, (NIV)
Lessons from the Bible concerning your spiritual Birthright.
1- God’s WORD is the Only Means of Understanding My Spiritual Birthright.
Acts 20:32 “Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. (NIV)
2- God Offeres a “Birthright” - Inheritance to ME.
Jn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (KJV)
1 Tim 2:4 (God) Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (KJV)
Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. (KJV)
3- Only God can QUALIFY Me for this Inheritance.
Col 1:12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. (NIV)
1. Jesus’ Death is the “RANSOM” Payment for the “Eternal Inheritance”.
Heb 9:15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (NIV)
2. The “Birthright” Inheritance is a “REWARD” for Serving Christ.
Col 3:24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
4- The “Birthright”
- Commitment to Christ
- All Sermons on Commitment to Christ
- Text Illustrations on Commitment to Christ
- Video Illustrations on Commitment to Christ
- PowerPoint Template on Commitment to Christ
- Scripture on Commitment to Christ
Join the discussion