Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
I. Why Study the Book of Daniel?
A: So we can learn to live as citizens of heaven and resident aliens, in God’s broken and beloved world. What does this look like?
[Read Daniel 1:1-21]
What do we see as the Book of Daniel begins? God is Sovereign: He is in control of Babylon’s King, Nebuchadnezzar… Judah’s King, Jehoiakim… Israel’s Temple treasures… the people of God… the chief of Eunuchs… learning, skill and wisdom… and the whole Babylonian Captivity. This is HIS Story!
II. Becoming a better Babylonian than the Babylonians!
Notice the two plans and strategies at work as the Book of Daniel begins…
1. Nebuchadnezzar’s strategy for assimilating God’s people into Babylonian culture: Start with the “best and brightest” leaders, then capture them through…
· The Temptation of privilege and power… “standing in the King’s palace”
· The Seduction of the “good life”… consuming the King’s food and wine;
· The Enculturation of new names… Belteshazzar, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego;
· The Indoctrination in Chaldean literature and language.
2. God’s strategy for revealing his glory and grace to the Babylonians:
· Gifting his sons and daughters with great competencies to serve and excel in every cultural endeavor;
· Grounding his sons and daughters in His Story, grace, wisdom and discipline;
· Placing his sons and daughters throughout the world, and in every sphere of society and cultural life;
· Providing the gifts and power of the Holy Spirit to accomplish his purposes.
III. Five Ways Christians Relate to the “Majority” Culture
1. Over-adaptations to the Prevailing Culture
• THE “UN-CULTURE” – The “Accomodationist” or “Immigrant” Model
• THE “SUB-CULTURE” – “Privatization” or “Oreo” Model
2. Under-engagement with the Prevailing Culture
• THE “ANTI-CULTURE” (Psalm 137) “Ghettoization and/or Militancy”
• THE “PARA-CULTURE” (Jeremiah 28) “Revivalist” or “Tourist” Model
3. The Third Way… the Way of the Gospel of the Kingdom (!!!)
• THE “COUNTER-CULTURE” – (Jeremiah 29) “Engagement” or “Resident Alien” or “Colony of Heaven” or “Ambassador” Model (Daniel, Esther and Joseph are great example of this way of life)
“Perhaps the best analogy to describe all this is that of a model home. We are God’s demonstration community of the rule of Christ in the (unbelieving) city. On a tract of earth’s land, purchased with the blood of Christ, Jesus the kingdom developer has begun building new housing. As a sample of what will be, he has erected a model home of what will eventually fill the urban neighborhood. He now invites the … world into that model home to take a look at what will be. The church is the occupant of that model home, inviting neighbors into its open door to Christ. Evangelism is when the signs are up, saying ‘Come in and look around’ … As citizens of, not survivalists
- All Sermons on Missions
- Text Illustrations on Missions
- Video Illustrations on Missions
- PowerPoint Template on Missions
- Scripture on Missions
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Daniel 1:1-1:21
- All sermons from Ciprian Luca
- Sermons on Daniel Book of
- Sermons on Culture
- Sermons on Perseverance
Join the discussion