Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
- Christian #1 Iím looking for new members of my church, what would you do if you found someone beaten up and bleeding by the side of the road? And the Levite Priest answers: "Well it depends, if it was someone that I thought was unclean or unworthy of my help, I would cross over to the the other side and pass on by"
Alright! ...Well potential Christian #2, Iím obviously still looking for new members, and I want to know what you would do if you were wronged by someone or found out about someone elseís faults? He answered, well me, I would get a bunch of my friends together and we would drag that person to the feet of Jesus and accuse them of their sin, like say "adultery".
Okay? Well Christian #3, I havenít made up my mind yet, but you might be able to determine if you are the next new Christian if you could tell me what you would do if you found out someone needed a coat, or was in prison, or hungry? ...The contestant answers back: "Let them get their own coat, and they messed up and deserved prison"... You get the point!
The point is - how can we be a Christian without the character of love? And how can we claim to be Christians and not show love? It is a fruit of the Spirit? It is a sign that we have truly been empowered by the Spirit of God.
(1) Kenneth Emerson Sauer, Pastor of Parkview United Methodist Church, Newport News, VA tells that "At a menís retreat a truck driver told about the change Christ had made in his life, and he was asked to think of some specific way in which he was different. After a pause, he said: ďWell, when I find somebody tailgating my truck, I no longer drive on the shoulder of the road to kick up pebbles and rocks on them.Ē
What becomes clear, is that love is not so much a "Feeling"... "Oooo you make me feel so good" and "O you make my heart race and pitter patter" BUT love is an action. If you rely on feeling then your spouse better get out of the way most of the time. Of if you rely on feeling, you could easily say "Well I have fallen out of love with you". But this love is "agapao" or "agape" love. It is "unconditional love". It canít be lost, or fallen away from because it is "unconditional". It is active love. Jesus said "If you love me keep my commandments", not "if you love me be all hot and mushy". He told Peter "If you love me, feed my sheep"... "If you love me, tend my little ewe lambs". (John 21)
And Paul addresses to the Church, "If you have everything, but donít have love, then what do you have?" If you have a new car but canít forgive someone of there sin, then what do you have? If you have a great job but donít show love to your neighbor, it is like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal. What do you have if you donít have love? It is and should be our character as Christians. In fact Paul writes "If I didnít love others then I would be of no value whatsoever".
Paul goes a step further to tell us what love is and what love is not. What actions represent love, and what actions do not.
Love is patient: Just think how patient Jesus was with the disciples
- Christian Love
- All Sermons on Christian Love
- Text Illustrations on Christian Love
- Video Illustrations on Christian Love
- PowerPoint Template on Christian Love
- Scripture on Christian Love
Join the discussion