Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
THE COST OF CHRISTMAS
>II CORINTHIANS 8
***VISITOR TO LONDON, ENGLAND:
1. AM HEARD JOSEPH PARKER PREACH (“WHAT A SERMON!”)
2. PM WENT TO METROPOLITAN TABERNACLE TO HEAR CHARLES SPURGEON PREACH (“WHAT A SAVIOR!)
…I HOPE YOU LEAVE TODAY AND CAN SAY “WHAT A SAVIOR!”
***LOOKING AT WHAT MAKES CHRISTMAS SPECIAL:
1. NOT PARTIES
5. PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE
6. …IT’S THE PEOPLE
2. FAIRY TALES (SANTA, RUDOLPH, AND FROSTY)
3. FAMILIAR CHARACTERS IN STORY (SHEPHERDS, ANGELS, WISE MEN)
4. THESE ARE NOT THE TRUE HEROS OF CHRISTMAS
5. IT’S THE 3 CENTRAL FIGURES IN ANY TRUE NATIVITY SCENE:JOSEPH, MARY, AND THE CHRIST CHILD-THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
***THIS MORNING LET’S FOCUS OUR SPIRITUAL TELESCOPES ON THE LITTLE BABE IN THE MANGER:
THE NEW TESTAMENT CONTRIBUTORS TO THE CHRISTMAS STORY EACH GIVE A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE ON THE CHRIST CHILD:
1. MATTHEW BEGINS WITH A GENEALOGY TO SHOW THAT THIS BABE HAS A ROYAL LINEAGE AND HE DEPICTS CHRISTAS THE KING.
2. LUKE GIVES THE FAMILIAR ACCOUNT OF CHRISTMAS NIGHT AND HE SHOWS THE BABE BORN IN A HUMBLE STABLE WHICH SPEAKS OF CHRIST AS THE SON OF MAN.
3. JOHN BEGINS HIS ACCOUNT WITH JOHN 1:1 AND IN JOHN 1:14 SAYS THAT THE “WORD BECAME FLESH AND DWELTAMONG US…”TO EMPHASIZE THAT CHRIST IS GOD.
4. PAUL CONDENSED CHRISTMAS TO ONE RICH REVELATION:
II CORINTHIANS 8
1 Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia;
2 How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.
3 For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves;
4 Praying us with much entreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints.
5 And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God.
6 Insomuch that we desired Titus, that as he had begun, so he would also finish in you the same grace also.
7 Therefore, as ye abound in every thing, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace also.
8 I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love.
9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
TITLE OF MESSAGE –THE TRUE HEROS OF CHRISTMAS…THE COST OF CHRISTMAS
I. HIS CALL –“FOR YE KNOW…”
A. A CALL TO REMEMBER –WE ARE SO PRONE TO FORGET
***SOME THINGS WE FORGET AROUND CHRISTMAS TIME:
1. AS CHRISTIANS WE BELONG TO GOD.
I CORINTHIANS 6
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
2. WE ARE NOT TO BECOME ATTACHED TO THE WORLD.
JAMES 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
3. OUR TREASURE IS NOT DOWN HERE.
- All Sermons on Christmas
- Text Illustrations on Christmas
- Video Illustrations on Christmas
- PowerPoint Template on Christmas
- Scripture on Christmas
Join the discussion