The Door Of Your Spiritual Life
Sermon shared by Shawn Drake
Summary: This is the 7th sermon in the series "Unlocking The Doors To Freedom".
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
THE DOOR OF YOUR SPIRITUAL LIFE
1. Abraham had 2 sons, Ishmael and Isaac. Ishmael¡¦s mother was Hagar and Isaac¡¦s mother was Sarah.
2. The 2 sons illustrate our 2 births.
„© Physical birth that makes us sinners.
„© Spiritual birth that makes us children of God.
3. Isaac illustrates our spiritual identity.
Key #1: He Was Born By God¡¦s Power
1. God waited 25 years before Sarah had Isaac. Why?
2. Isaac was ¡§born by the power of the Spirit¡¨ and so are Christians.
3. Isaac came into the world through Abraham (who represents faith) and Sarah (who represents grace). Christians are born by grace through faith.
Key #2: He Brought Joy
1. Isaac means ¡§laughter¡¨.
2. He brought joy to his parents.
3. Salvation is an experience that brings joy.
Key #3: He Grew And Was Weaned
1. Salvation is the beginning, not the end.
2. After we are born we must grow.
1 Peter 2:2; 2 Peter 3:18
3. Part of maturity is weaning; we must lay aside ¡§childish things¡¨.
1 Corinthians 13:11
Key #4: He Was Persecuted
1. Ishmael (the flesh) caused problems for Isaac, just as our old nature does for us.
2. Ishmael created no problems in the home until Isaac was born, just as our old nature did not create problems until our new nature was born.
3. In Abraham¡¦s home we see the same basic conflicts that we Christians face:
„© Hagar vs. Sarah= Law vs. Grace
„© Ishmael vs. Isaac= Flesh vs. Spirit
1. We must be born again and grow.
2. We must walk in the Spirit.
3. We are free!
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion