Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
November 13, 2005
(The Ordination of Fred Thomson)
• Some long for the good ole’ days.
• They remember the warmth of the fire and forget the chopping of the wood.
• Some would love for us to get back to the early church.
• But ...
• Two of their number lied to the church and it resulted in their death under the direct judgment of God.
• In spite of our Lord’s last words, the church was slow to reach beyond their borders and beyond their race!
• Only after intense persecution did the disciples get busy about missions.
Apply: God can stir up our nest if we do not get busy about WORLD missions.
I. The Organization of Deacon Ministry (1-5)
A. THE NEED (1 - 2)
1. The Multitudes (1A)
Acts 6:1A And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied,
Acts 1:15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)
Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Acts 4:4 Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.
Acts 6:1 And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.
2. The Murmuring (1B)
1B there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration
• The church suffered from great conflict.
• WITHIN the church there were murmurings.
• Especially among the Greek widows.
• They felt that the Hebrews were being taken care of and that they were neglected.
NOTE: Every pastor feels this keenly. As the church grows, it becomes difficult to shake every hand.
ILLUS: Dr. Sightler at Tabernacle Baptist said, “We have five exits from our church auditorium. I can’t be at all of them. So I will stand at the front. If you need to see me, then come up front.
• WITHOUT the church there was persecution.
• Therefore, the church had to circle the wagons and take care of its own.
3. The Ministry (2)
2 Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason [NOTE: = fitting] that we should leave [NOTE: = abandon, forsake] the word of God, and serve tables.
• In an attempt to please everyone, the pastors were failing to please the Lord.
• Their Bible study and prayer were falling short!
• If a pastor neglected the Word for fishing, there would be an outcry.
• Yet a church can so set up their expectations for a pastor that they may force him to neglect the Word.
• So the apostles needed some help!
• It must be carefully noted that the deacons were to serve the Lord, under the direction of the pastor, to the people of the church.
• The idea that deacons serve as a check and balance on the pastor like the Democrats in congress blocking President Bush’s judicial appointments is completely foreign to the Scriptures.
- Church: Practices
- All Sermons on Church: Practices
- Text Illustrations on Church: Practices
- Video Illustrations on Church: Practices
- PowerPoint Template on Church: Practices
- Scripture on Church: Practices
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Acts 6:1-6:7
- All sermons from Larry Wilson
- Sermons on Church
- Sermons on Deacons
- Sermons on need
Join the discussion