Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Today is a national holiday. It’s Grandparent’s Day, signed into law by President Jimmy Carter after an unanimous vote from Congress in September of 1978.
What is a Grandparent?
Taken from papers written by a class of 8 year olds:
- Grandparents are a lady and a man who have no little children of their own. They like other people’s.
- A grandfather is a man grandmother.
- Grandparents don’t have to do anything except be there when we come to see them. They are so old they shouldn’t play hard or run. It is good if they drive us to the store and have lots of quarters for us.
- When they take us for walks, they slow down past things like pretty leaves and caterpillars.
- They show us and talk to us about the color of the flowers and also why we shouldn’t step on "cracks."
- Usually grandmothers are fat, but not too fat to tie your shoes.
- They wear glasses and funny underwear.
- They can take their teeth and gums out.
- When they read to us, they don’t skip. They don’t mind if we ask for the same story over again.
- Everybody should try to have a grandmother, especially if you don’t have internet, because they are the only grown ups who like to spend time with us.
- They know we should have snack-time before bedtime and they say prayers with us every time, and kiss us even when we’ve acted bad.
- A 6 year old was asked where his grandma lived. ’’Oh,’’ he said, ’’She lives at the airport, and when we want her we just go get her. Then when we’re done having her visit, we take her back to the airport."
We owe a lot to our grandparents. They have the warmth of a parent; the wisdom of the sages; and the heart of a child. And over five million American children live with their grandparents. Here are some wonderful grandparent quotes to remind us of these unsung heroes.
The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.
When a child is born, so are grandmothers.
If nothing is going well, call your grandmother.
Hannah Whithall Smith
If becoming a grandmother was only a matter of choice, I should advise every one of you straight away to become one.
Florence King, Reflections in a Jaundiced Eye
"The proliferation of support groups suggests that too many Americans are growing up in homes that do not contain a grandmother."
Grandmas are moms with lots of frosting.
no greater privilege.
no greater responsibility,
no greater joy
than the training of the next generation!
Generations I will never know will reap what I sow!
Do your grandchildren remember promises you make to them? Grandparents need to be careful what they promise their grandchildren. Charles Spurgeon, great preacher of long ago, when he was just a boy his grandmother told him that she would give him a penny for every hymn he learned. Only problem was that his grandfather promised little Charles a quarter for every rat he killed! Guess where little Charles placed the greater value?
Christianity is only one generation from extinction!
Grandparents are to instill belief in the next generation!
17 Since my youth, O God, you have taught me,
and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
18 Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God,
- All Sermons on Family
- Text Illustrations on Family
- Video Illustrations on Family
- PowerPoint Template on Family
- Scripture on Family
Join the discussion