The Greatest Gift You Can Give Mom on Mother's Day
Sermon shared by Jerry Flury
Summary: Whatís the greatest gift you can give your mother not only for Motherís Day but for the rest of her life? Itís not one bought in a store but one that all of us can give to our mothers. Itís the gift of your doing right, living right, and being right.
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
THE GREATEST GIFT TO GIVE MOM ON MOTHERíS DAY
Honor your father and your mother, so that your days may be long upon the land which Jehovah your God gives you.
Introduction: Motherís Day poses problems for most men Ė especially what NOT to buy your wife. Although the only person a man usually shops for is his wife, the whole experience is a stressful one. Many a man has felt extreme frigid temperatures for a long period based on a poor present decision. As a veteran of these wars, Iím still not sure what to buy my wife, but Iíll pass on what not to buy her:
1. Donít buy anything that plugs in. Anything that requires electricity is seen as utilitarian.
2. Donít buy clothing that involves sizes. The chances are one in seven thousand that you will get her size right, and your wife will be offended the other 6999 times. ďDo I look like a size 16?Ē sheíll say. Too small a size doesnít cut it either: ďI havenít worn a size 8 in 20 years!Ē
3. Avoid all things useful. The new silver polish advertised to save hundreds of hours is not going to win you any brownie points.
4. Donít buy anything that involves weight loss or self-improvement. Sheíll perceive a six-month membership to a diet center as a suggestion thatís sheís overweight.
5. Donít buy jewelry. The jewelry your wife wants, you canít afford. And the jewelry you can afford, she doesnít want.
6. Finally, donít spend too much. ďHow do you think weíre going to afford that?Ē sheíll ask. But donít spend too little. She wonít say anything, but sheíll think, ďIs that all Iím worth?Ē Ė adapted from Herb Forst in Cross River, NY, Patent Trader, in Readerís Digest, p. 69.
While dad has a hard time thinking about what to give mom, Motherís Day is a day when children think about what they can give their mothers in order to show their love and pay honor to them. What is the greatest gift that you can give your mother not only for Motherís Day but for the rest of her life? It is not a gift that can be bought in a store but one that every one of us can give to our mothers. It is the gift of knowing that her child is doing right, living right, and right with God.
I. You can give her the gift of a son or daughter who is doing right
A. Proverbs 23:23-25 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding. The father of the righteous shall greatly rejoice; and he who fathers a wise child shall have joy from him. Your father and your mother shall be glad, and she who bore you shall rejoice.
B. Proverbs 23:22-24 MSG Listen with respect to the father who raised you, and when your mother grows old, donít neglect her. Buy truth--donít sell it for love or money; buy wisdom, buy education, buy insight. Parents rejoice when their children turn out well; wise children become proud parents.
C. It is a motherís nature to want to see her children excel in everything they do. They want them to do their best.
D. 3 John 2 I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you.Ē
E. Matthew 20:20-21 MKJV Then the mother of Zebedeeís children came to Him with her sons, worshiping and desiring a certain thing from Him. And He said to her, What do you desire? She said to Him, Grant that these my two sons may sit in Your kingdom, the one on Your right hand and the other on the left.
F. Susan Hutson is the proud mother of eighteen year old
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion