Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Pastor Toby Powers
Truth Baptist Church
THE HALF HAS NOT BEEN TOLD
I Kings 10:7, Matt 12:42
Intro: Our text tells of the time when the Queen of Sheba comes to Jerusalem to meet Solomon. She says that even with all the stories she was told of him, the half had not been told. Jesus tells us that he is like Solomon, the king of the Jews, but that he is a greater than Solomon. So, we know that this scripture about the Queen of the South has prophetic value as it concerns our Lord. Last week we began to look at that value as we preached on “THE HALF HAS NOT BEEN TOLD ABOUT HIS CRADLE.”
Today I want to preach on “THE HALF HAS NOT BEEN TOLD ABOUT HIS CROSS.” Notice:
I. THE SCHEME: Matt 16:21 “From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.” Luke 18:31-34 “Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished. For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on: And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again. And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken.” Matt 26:3-4 “Then assembled together the chief priests, and the scribes, and the elders of the people, unto the palace of the high priest, who was called Caiaphas, And consulted that they might take Jesus by subtilty, and kill him.” The leaders in Jerusalem conspired against Christ to kill him! Why?
A. Priests Were Jealous: Jesus posed the end of their reign and their prosperity.
B. Apostles Were Confused: they understood none of the things Christ told them (Luke 18:34).
C. Judas Was Zealous: He was a political zealot who believed he could force Jesus to become the Messiah the way that he thought it should be done, but you will never get God to work your way.
D. Plan Of God Was At Work: While it appeared things were going poorly for our Lord, it was according to God’s plan.
II. THE SUFFERING: When considering the suffering of the cross, we can not know the half!
* He wept with strong crying and tears in Gethsemane’s Garden. (Heb 5:7)
* He saw those who were his friends sleep through his sorrow.
* His agony was so severe that his sweat became as great drops of blood (Luke 22:44).
* He was betrayed by a friend, forsaken by his followers, and denied three times by his favored Apostle.
* He was taken from the court of Caiaphas to the Pilate to Herod and back to Pilate again, but even after false accusation, no fault was found in him, still the mob cried, “Crucify Him!”
* They pulled a bag over his head and beat him indiscriminately. His teeth were beaten from their sockets. Is 52:14, “His visage was so marred more than any man.”
* Long thorns were platted to a crown of mockery and set upon his head, then beaten into his face with a reed.
* He faced Pilate’s whipping post. Smith’s Bible Dictionary said that it was common for a man to have his intestines hanging out of his body after this beating with the cat of nine tails!
* They laid an old rugged
- All Sermons on Cross
- Text Illustrations on Cross
- Video Illustrations on Cross
- PowerPoint Template on Cross
- Scripture on Cross
Join the discussion