Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
· Who is the greatest person living today? Lead discussion
Matthew 20:26-28 says…
“Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave, just as the Son of Msn did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
· It’s hard to understand in our world how any servant can be the greatest isn’t it?
· Especially in a world where being loud, goal-driven, self-made, self-centered, powerful and wealthy is the key for greatness.
2.Where do you rank as a servant?
1. Others compliment me on my servant attitudes or actions.
2. I use my gifts and skills to serve my family.
3. I use my gifts and skills to serve y church.
4. Other people feel they can count on me when they need help.
5. I make it a habit to help those in distress.
6. When I see needy people or the homeless, it gets to me.
7. The needs of others are at least as important as my own.
8. I sometimes feel sad and ask, “God, why do you allow people to suffer!”
9. Others compliment me on my sensitivity and love.
10. I typically help people, even when it costs me time, cancels my plans, risks embarrassment, costs money, or even when their appearance repulses me.
11. Friends say I am someone they can talk to about anything and that I’m always there when they need me.
3.Seeing Christ In Others
· “Mother Teresa told a story of how one of their sisters had spent an entire day bathing the wounds of a dying beggar who was brought to them from the streets of Calcutta. Mother Teresa’s voice dropped to a whisper as she told the hushed auditorium that, in reality, the nun had been bathing the wounds of Jesus. She insisted that Christ tests the love of his followers be hiding in grotesque disguises to see if we can still see him.”
· The heart of a servant recognizes that when we serve and love others, we serve and love Christ. There are many ways we can serve!
· The heart of the servant aggressively seeks to discover the needs of others and to meet those needs.
4.The Servant’s Sacrifice
Philippians 2:5-8 says…
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death-
even death on a cross!
· Serving is never convenient and always costs us something.
· Servanthood requires us to lay down our lives, our money, our possessions, and our plans.
· This will kill our selfishness, our insensitivity for others, and our spiritual coldness.
5.The Servants Glory
Philippians 2:9-11 says…
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.
· Jesus was glorified as a servant
· He was exalted to the highest place.
· We will be exalted by God, as we serve and bring glory to God by living our lives as servants.
Close with prayer
- All Sermons on Discipleship
- Text Illustrations on Discipleship
- Video Illustrations on Discipleship
- PowerPoint Template on Discipleship
- Scripture on Discipleship
Join the discussion